1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron between two plates

1. Sep 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electron is projected with an initial speed v_0 = 2.00×106 {\rm m/s} into the uniform field between the parallel plates in the figure (Intro 1 figure) . Assume that the field between the plates is uniform and directed vertically downward, and that the field outside the plates is zero. The electron enters the field at a point midway between the plates.
    If the electron just misses the upper plate as it emerges from the field, find the magnitude of the electric field.
    (length of plates = 2cm, distance between plates=1cm)

2. Relevant equations
    F=eQ
    y=.5at^2+V(t)+y(initial)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, so first I tried to force on the charge from the electric field, but I dont know the electric field. So then I tried the position equation to find Acceleration but I dont know the time it took to travel through the plates, I would be able to find that but im not sure if the velocity in the x direction stays the same? (the direction parallel to the plates)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

As you have said, the velocity in the x direction remains the same.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook