Calculating Kinetic Energy and Recoil Speed of Nucleus after Electron Capture

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the kinetic energy and recoil speed of a bare nucleus after capturing an electron into its ground state. The potential energy and conservation of momentum are considered, but there is confusion about whether a neutrino or photon is created in the process. It is ultimately determined that the captured electron does not go into the nucleus and there is no nuclear reaction, so the recoil energy and speed of the nucleus can be found using its mass and atomic number.
rubertoda
Hi

I have an atom with nuclear charge Z, mass M and no electrons (a bare nucleus) which captures an electron into its ground state. I am asked to calculate the kinetic energy and the recoil
speed of the nucleus after the electron capture...

I have the Z^2 (-13,6 eV) as usual, as the potential energy for the K-electron...
also i have that momentum is conserved, Mv = -mv, and i ignore relativistic effecta, i.e mv^2/2 is the kinetic energy..but shouldn't there be sthg else involverd? I mean, this sounds to easy

Physics news on Phys.org
During electron capture, what particle is created in the process and ejected from the system? :shy:

a proton goes to a neutron, at the same time as a neutrino is flewn out..but should i only consider the neutrino energy and equal that to the recoil energy?

Nevermind, I see that the captured electron does not go into the nucleus but is captured "into the ground state" of the atom. So, there is no nuclear reaction and no neutrino created. Hmm, seems like an odd question to me. [Maybe replace neutrino with photon?] Sorry for misreading.

Yes, i thought so to in the beginning, and it is propably true...in that case, i should find out the recoil energy and speed of the nucleus whit mass M and atomic number Z

I start with: the recoil energy = -13.6 Z^2( which is the ground state energy) = Mv^2/2

1. What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy after electron capture?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy after electron capture is KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the nucleus and v is the recoil speed.

2. How is the mass of the nucleus determined in this calculation?

The mass of the nucleus is determined by subtracting the mass of the captured electron from the mass of the original nucleus.

3. Can this formula be used to calculate the recoil speed of any nucleus?

Yes, this formula can be used to calculate the recoil speed of any nucleus as long as the mass of the captured electron is known.

4. How does electron capture affect the overall energy of the nucleus?

Electron capture results in a decrease in the overall energy of the nucleus, as the captured electron joins with a proton to form a neutron, releasing energy in the process.

5. How is the recoil speed of the nucleus related to the amount of energy released from electron capture?

The recoil speed of the nucleus is directly proportional to the amount of energy released from electron capture. The higher the energy released, the greater the recoil speed of the nucleus.