1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron capture

1. Nov 1, 2012 #1
    Hi

I have an atom with nuclear charge Z, mass M and no electrons (a bare nucleus) which captures an electron into its ground state. im asked to calculate the kinetic energy and the recoil
    speed of the nucleus after the electron capture...

I have the Z^2 (-13,6 eV) as usual, as the potential energy for the K-electron...
    also i have that momentum is conserved, Mv = -mv, and i ignore relativistic effecta, i.e mv^2/2 is the kinetic energy..but shouldnt there be sthg else involverd? I mean, this sounds to easy

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

During electron capture, what particle is created in the process and ejected from the system? :shy:

4. Nov 1, 2012 #3
    a proton goes to a neutron, at the same time as a neutrino is flewn out..but should i only consider the neutrino energy and equal that to the recoil energy?

5. Nov 1, 2012 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nevermind, I see that the captured electron does not go into the nucleus but is captured "into the ground state" of the atom. So, there is no nuclear reaction and no neutrino created. Hmm, seems like an odd question to me. [Maybe replace neutrino with photon?] Sorry for misreading.

6. Nov 2, 2012 #5
    Yes, i thought so to in the beginning, and it is propably true...in that case, i should find out the recoil energy and speed of the nucleus whit mass M and atomic number Z

I start with: the recoil energy = -13.6 Z^2( which is the ground state energy) = Mv^2/2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook