1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron Charge to Mass Ratio

1. Sep 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Electrons from a heated cathode are accelerated through a potential difference of 25.0 V. Calculate the speed of the electrons escaping through a hole in the anode.

2. Relevant equations

v = (2eV/m)^(1/2)

3. The attempt at a solution

v = (2*25*1.759*10^11)^(1/2) = 2.97*10^6 m/s

but this answer is wrong. why?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What are the units for each number you use in the calculation? Perhaps the units are not consistent.

4. Oct 1, 2008 #3
    v = (2* 25V * 1.759*10^11 C/kg) ^(1/2) = 2.97*10^6 m/s

(VC/kg)^(1/2) = m/s

or

VC/kg = m^2/s^2

is that true?

5. Oct 1, 2008 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay, I agree with your answer, including the number of significant figures. I wasn't familiar with the value of e/m.

Hmmm ... since the calculated answer is 2.9655... *10^6 m/s, maybe try 2.96*10^6 m/s. They might have done some intermediate rounding off that changed their final answer slightly.

6. Oct 2, 2008 #5
    that still turned out to be wrong. maybe i am using the wrong formula. this problem deals with a cathode and anode from a helm's coil. any suggestions?

7. Oct 2, 2008 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm unfamiliar with a helm's coil (or do you mean Helmholtz coil?).

Your formula is correct for electrons with zero, or at least negligible, initial kinetic energy at the cathode.
    (Substitute eV = ½ m v2 in the equation to verify it, if you wish.)

Does anything in the problem statement, or in the text book, indicate a nonzero initial speed for the electrons? If not, I am stumped ... does somebody else have any ideas?

8. Oct 4, 2008 #7
    thank you so much! i had been typing the answer wrong. the computer did not want the answer in scientific notation. so your advice was correct. thank you

9. Oct 4, 2008 #8

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your welcome!

Computers often use a different form of scientific notation. Instead of typing 2.97*10^6, it would be 2.76e6

You might try that out on the next problem, just to see if the computer recognizes it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?