1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron charge

1. Jan 15, 2006 #1
    You have 0.6 kg of water. One mole of water has a mass of 18 g/mol and each molecule of water contains 10 electrons since water is H2O. What is the total electron charge contained in this volume of water? Answer in units for C.

First I converted 0.6 kg to 600 g. Then I divided that by 18 to get the number of moles, which was 33.3. Then I multiplied it by Avogadro's number to get the number of molecules and got 2.01 x 10^25. Then I multiplied it by the number of electrons, and got 2.01 x 10^26. Finally, I multiplied it by the electon charge, 1.602 x 10^-19, and got 3.21 x 10^7. This isn't right.
    Am I going about this in the right way?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2006 #2
    it seems fine to me.. why do you think it's wrong?
  4. Jan 16, 2006 #3
    It's an online homework problem, and when I typed in the answer it said it was wrong... I have no idea why though... I don't know any other way to do it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?