Calculate Electron Charge in 0.6 kg of Water

In summary, to calculate the total electron charge contained in 0.6 kg of water, we first convert the mass to grams and then divide by the molar mass of water to get the number of moles. We then multiply by Avogadro's number to get the number of molecules, and then multiply by the number of electrons per molecule. Finally, we multiply by the electron charge to get the total electron charge in units of C. However, it seems that this method may not be giving the correct answer according to an online homework problem.
Punchlinegirl
You have 0.6 kg of water. One mole of water has a mass of 18 g/mol and each molecule of water contains 10 electrons since water is H2O. What is the total electron charge contained in this volume of water? Answer in units for C.

First I converted 0.6 kg to 600 g. Then I divided that by 18 to get the number of moles, which was 33.3. Then I multiplied it by Avogadro's number to get the number of molecules and got 2.01 x 10^25. Then I multiplied it by the number of electrons, and got 2.01 x 10^26. Finally, I multiplied it by the electon charge, 1.602 x 10^-19, and got 3.21 x 10^7. This isn't right.
Am I going about this in the right way?

Physics news on Phys.org
it seems fine to me.. why do you think it's wrong?

It's an online homework problem, and when I typed in the answer it said it was wrong... I have no idea why though... I don't know any other way to do it.

1. How do you calculate the electron charge in 0.6 kg of water?

To calculate the electron charge in 0.6 kg of water, we need to know the number of electrons present in 0.6 kg of water. This can be calculated by first finding the number of moles of water and then multiplying it by Avogadro's number. The electron charge can then be calculated by multiplying the number of electrons by the elementary charge, which is 1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs.

2. What is the formula for calculating the number of moles of water?

The formula for calculating the number of moles of water is n = m/M, where n is the number of moles, m is the mass of water in grams, and M is the molar mass of water (18.015 g/mol).

3. How much does 0.6 kg of water weigh in grams?

0.6 kg of water weighs 600 grams. This can be calculated by multiplying 0.6 kg by 1000, as there are 1000 grams in 1 kilogram.

4. What is Avogadro's number?

Avogadro's number (NA) is a constant used in chemistry and physics to represent the number of particles (atoms, molecules, or ions) in one mole of a substance. It is approximately equal to 6.022 x 10^23 particles per mole.

5. What is the elementary charge?

The elementary charge (e) is the electric charge carried by a single electron. It is a fundamental physical constant and has a value of 1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs.