1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron charge

1. Apr 19, 2007 #1
    In my physics book it says that friction between cars and air can cause a build up of charge on the vehicle's body and that's why a rubber strip is often connected from the body of the car to the ground - to ground the car.
    Since the tyres which are rubber are connected to metal which is connected to the shell of the car shouldn't the tyres be able to do the same thing?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2007 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

haha never heard of that rubber strip :)

4. Apr 19, 2007 #3

mezarashi

Homework Helper

I think that it's not exactly correct to generalize all rubbery materials as having the same conductive properties. Even when we speak of car tires, you'll see that there are differences in the materials used.

As for the rubber strip, I've never seen one myself, but I have seen metal strips installed before tolling stations so that the operators don't get the zap of their life.... thousands of times per day ;)

See:
    http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/1994/November/11.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?