Calculate Electron Flow in 3 Secs

In summary, electron flow is calculated by dividing the total charge by the time taken, with the formula I = Q/t. The unit of measurement for electron flow is amperes (A), and it can be calculated in other units of time such as milliseconds, microseconds, or hours. Electron flow is not a constant value and can vary depending on the circuit and materials used. It is directly proportional to voltage and inversely proportional to resistance, according to Ohm's Law.
mp252
i was stuck on this equation if a current of 2 A flows through a lamp when it is connected by copper wire of cross-sectional area 1 mm2 to the terminals of a battery. how many electrons will leave the negative terminal of the battery in 3 seconds? (obiviously the charge of electrons is e=1.602*10–19 C.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of an ampere in terms of coulombs and seconds?

1a=1c/1s

mp252 said:
1a=1c/1s
Right. An Ampere is one Coulomb of charge per second. How many electrons make up one Coulomb?

1. How is electron flow calculated in 3 seconds?

Electron flow is calculated by dividing the total charge by the time taken. The formula for calculating electron flow is: I = Q/t, where I is the current in amperes (A), Q is the charge in coulombs (C), and t is the time in seconds (s).

2. What is the unit of measurement for electron flow?

The unit of measurement for electron flow is amperes (A). This unit measures the rate of flow of electric charge, or the amount of charge passing through a point in a circuit per unit time.

3. Can electron flow be calculated in other units of time?

Yes, electron flow can be calculated in other units of time such as milliseconds (ms), microseconds (μs), or even hours (h). It is important to use the appropriate unit of time in the formula for accurate results.

4. Is electron flow a constant value?

No, electron flow can vary depending on the circuit and the materials used. In a closed circuit, the electron flow will be constant, but in an open circuit, there will be no electron flow. The resistance of the materials also affects the rate of electron flow.

5. How is electron flow related to voltage and resistance?

According to Ohm's Law, the rate of electron flow (current) is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance in a circuit. This means that an increase in voltage will result in an increase in electron flow, while an increase in resistance will decrease the electron flow.