Comparison of Mass-Energy: Electron Cloud vs. Nucleus in Ground State Atoms

In summary, the conversation discusses the stability of isolated hydrogen atoms and the author's search for information on the total mass-energy of the electron cloud and nucleus in ground state helium and iron-56 atoms. The question is raised about whether the rest mass of the components minus the binding energy would provide the answer. It is mentioned that a single hydrogen atom is stable when alone, but becomes unstable when in a gas state with other atoms, forming compounds that are stable. The conversation illustrates the concept of stability and how it applies to different elements and their combinations.
dirtyd33
Hi, I had a previous post "Total Energies" asking about the total energy of an electron and proton separately in a "stable," ground state, hydrogen atom and I got no response (well one short one). Later I realized an isolated hydrogen atom is not stable; it at least needs to bond into H2, but even then it is a highly in-stable/ reactive, gas. I decided I would rather like to know the total mass-energy of the electron cloud vs. the nucleus of either a ground state helium atom or ground state iron-56 atom. Again, this is because I couldn't find enough relevant information elsewhere. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would it not be the rest mass of the components minus the binding energy?

A single hydrogen atom is stable as long as it is alone. When its in a gas state with other hydrogen atoms, then its unstable, forming H2 which will be stable. If you throw in some oxygen atoms, then the mixture is unstable, it will form water molecules slowly or explosively. Then that will be stable. If you throw in some sodium atoms, it will become unstable again, forming lye (NaOH) and oxygen. That will be stable. Then throw in some chlorine atoms, and its unstable again, forming salt (NaCl) and water. It goes on and on and on.

1. What is the difference between an electron cloud and a nucleus?

The electron cloud is the region surrounding the nucleus of an atom where electrons are most likely to be found. The nucleus, on the other hand, is the central part of an atom that contains protons and neutrons.

2. How do electrons and the nucleus interact within an atom?

Electrons are negatively charged particles that are attracted to the positively charged nucleus. The nucleus, in turn, exerts a strong attractive force on the electrons, keeping them in orbit around the nucleus.

3. Can the size of the electron cloud and nucleus change?

The size of the electron cloud can change as electrons move between energy levels or orbitals. The nucleus, however, remains relatively constant in size, as it is made up of protons and neutrons tightly packed together.

4. What is the significance of the electron cloud and nucleus in chemistry?

The electron cloud and nucleus are essential in determining the chemical properties of an atom. The number of electrons in the electron cloud and the number of protons in the nucleus determine an element's atomic number and chemical properties.

5. How is the electron cloud and nucleus related to atomic structure?

The electron cloud and nucleus are the main components of the atomic structure. The nucleus contains most of the atom's mass, while the electron cloud contains most of its volume. Together, they make up the atom and determine its overall properties.