Electron Config: Si and O for SiO4

In summary, the conversation is about the electron configuration for SiO4. The student is unsure about the configuration for oxygen, but believes that silicon gains four electrons. However, the concept of separate configurations for atoms in a molecule is questioned and it is mentioned that bonds in SiO4 are not ionic.
pearapple

Homework Statement

Write the electron configuration for SiO4.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My professor said we just need to show the configuration for Si and O separately.

I think Si gains four electrons, so its configuration is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6

But Oxygen I'm not sure about. Each oxygen only gains one electron, so would it be

1s2 2s2 2p5?

It's been a loooong time since I did chem and I can't remember how this works. Am I doing this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't make sense. First of all - no such things as SiO4. Shouldn't it be SiO42-?

Then - there is no such thing as separate configurations of atoms in a molecule. In ionic compounds you can write electron configuration of ions, but bonds in SiO42- are not ionic.

Sorry, I have no idea what your prof is asking for.

What is the electron configuration of Silicon (Si)?

The electron configuration of Silicon (Si) is 1s22s22p63s23p2.

What is the electron configuration of Oxygen (O)?

The electron configuration of Oxygen (O) is 1s22s22p4.

What is the electron configuration of SiO4?

The electron configuration of SiO4 is the combination of the electron configurations of Silicon (Si) and Oxygen (O). Therefore, it is 1s22s22p63s23p2 for Si and 1s22s22p4 for O, resulting in 1s22s22p63s23p6 for SiO4.

What is the valence electron configuration of SiO4?

The valence electron configuration of SiO4 is 3s23p6 for Si and 2s22p6 for O, resulting in a total of 8 valence electrons.

Why does SiO4 have a -4 charge?

SiO4 has a -4 charge because Silicon (Si) has a +4 charge and Oxygen (O) has a -2 charge. The overall charge of the molecule is determined by the sum of the charges of each element. Therefore, 4 (+4) + 4 (-2) = -4, resulting in a -4 charge for SiO4.