1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron configuration

1. Oct 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For Sg+2 what is the electron configuration.

3. The attempt at a solution

My immediate response would be [Rn] 7s2, 5f14, 6d2
    but the answer is [Rn] is 5f14 6d4

Can someone explain this to me?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2013 #2

jfizzix

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the answer is correct, this means the math works out that the 7s-shell valance orbitals are at an actually higher energy than the 6d or 5f orbitals. I think this might be the answer, but I'm not familiar enough with calculations to say for sure.

4. Oct 2, 2013 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Per analogy with transition metals I would expect 7s electrons to be lost first. Why makes you think it should be 6d?

5. Oct 2, 2013 #4
    I suppose I dont fully understand electron orbitals concept. Upon a little more brain digging, we remove heighest energy level electrons first?

6. Oct 3, 2013 #5

jfizzix

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, the electrons in an atom in its ground state are arranged in the orbitals from lowest energy to highest. If the 7s orbitals happen to be at a higher energy than the 6d or 5f orbitals, then the 6d and 5f orbitals would fill up before the 6s orbital fills up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted