1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron current homework

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A single electron in uniform circular motion constitutes an average current around the circle. If the electron moves clockwise with angular speed in a circle of radius r, find the current. Evaluate I if [tex]\omega=2X10^{16}[/tex] rad/s and r = 5 nm.

I never used radius r in my answer. This book usually doesn't thrown in irrelavant information in the questions. Did I do this right?

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
    I = \left| {\frac{Q}{t}} \right| \\
    \\
    t = \frac{d}{v} = \frac{{2\pi }}{\omega } \\
    \\
    I = \left| {\frac{Q}{{\left( {\frac{{2\pi }}{\omega }} \right)}}} \right| = \left| {\frac{{Q\omega }}{{2\pi }}} \right| = \left| {\frac{{ - e\omega }}{{2\pi }}} \right| = \frac{{e\omega }}{{2\pi }} \\
    \\
    \frac{{1.602 \times 10^{ - 19} {\rm{C}} \times 2 \times 10^{16} {\rm{rad/s}}}}{{2\pi }} = 5.1 \times 10^{ - 4} {\rm{C/s = }}5.1 \times 10^{ - 4} {\rm{A}} \\
    \end{array}[/tex]
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Right. The current would be in the CCW direction. (I haven't checked the arithmetical calculation.)

4. Mar 5, 2008 #3

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for verifying that, and reminding me to include direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?