Electron delocalisation in conjugated bonds

In summary, conjugated bonds delocalize electrons, lowering the energy required to promote them and increasing the stability of the molecule.
nobahar
Hello!
I'm confused about something I've read.
It says that double bonds that are separated by single bonds can delocalise the electrons, forming conjugated bonds. I guess this is what happens in benzene with the formation of the pi-ring of electrons. It also states that this lowers the energy required to promote the outer electrons. Now, I read, and have held the belief for sometime, that electorn delocalisation increases the stability of the molecule. I took this to mean that the electrons were in a lower energy state when delocalised. This, however, would contradict the statement that the electrons are easier to promote; since if they were in a lower energy state it would require more energy to remove the electrons: if it was in a lower energy state, it would be closer to the nucleus and have a more negative potential energy. I'm starting to wonder if perhaps the stability conferred upon the molecule is due to the delocalisaiton of the electron, but is not due to the electrons being in a lower energy level.
Which is correct? Are electrons in conjugated bonds easier to promote?, or more difficult?
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Conjugated bonds can indeed lower the energy required to promote the outer electrons, but they also increase the stability of the molecule. The increased stability comes from the fact that the electrons are delocalized and spread out, making them less likely to react with other molecules. This delocalization also reduces the overall energy of the molecule, meaning that it takes less energy to break the bonds between atoms. Therefore, conjugated bonds can both make it easier to promote the outer electrons and make the molecule more stable.

1. What is electron delocalisation in conjugated bonds?

Electron delocalisation in conjugated bonds refers to the sharing of electrons among multiple atoms in a molecule, resulting in a more stable and evenly distributed electron density. This occurs in molecules with alternating single and double bonds, known as conjugated systems.

2. How does electron delocalisation affect the properties of molecules?

Electron delocalisation can greatly affect the physical and chemical properties of molecules. It can increase the stability and rigidity of the molecule, as well as its color, conductivity, and reactivity. It also contributes to the overall aromaticity of a molecule.

3. What types of molecules exhibit electron delocalisation in conjugated bonds?

Molecules with alternating single and double bonds, such as alkenes, dienes, and aromatic compounds, exhibit electron delocalisation in conjugated bonds. This includes molecules like benzene, butadiene, and ethylene.

4. How can electron delocalisation be visualized in molecules?

Electron delocalisation can be visualized using molecular orbital diagrams, which show the distribution of electrons in a molecule's orbitals. It can also be represented using resonance structures, where the electrons are shown moving between different bonds in a molecule.

5. What is the significance of electron delocalisation in organic chemistry?

Electron delocalisation is a fundamental concept in organic chemistry, as it helps explain the stability and reactivity of many molecules. It also plays a role in the synthesis of new compounds and the development of new materials with specific properties, such as conducting polymers.