1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron diffraction

1. Nov 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a beam of electrons with a kinetic energy of 50eV is incident on a powdered crystal sample. A series of bright and dark rings is observed on a screen behind the sample, as shown below (a picture which shows two concentric circles with the beam passing through the center . ) If bright rings are observed at angles of theta =20 degrees and theta =40.7 degrees to the beam direction , calculate the spacing of the planes of the crystal.

2. Relevant equations
    bragg diffraction , p=h/lambda ,E=p^2/2m

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can find the wavelength using a combination of the 2nd and 3rd equation (E=(h/lambda)^2 / 2m )

but since no further information is given regarding the order of the bright fringes at those 2 angles (e.g. the relationship between the two maxima , in which order they are in etc.) I assumed they correspond to the 1st and 2nd maxima .
    using 2d sin theta=n lambda , I can get two different values of d with the two angles .

However , the discrepancy between the two values is quite huge (about 10%) . therefore I don't know how to get a consistent value .

so I decided to find two integers n and m such that n/m is approximately equal to the ratio of the sines of the angles ~ 1.906608182 (which is just from the formula) , and minimize the discrepancy of d .

but I'm afraid I would get large values of n and m just to satisfy the condition , so large they are not even physically feasible .

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2014 #2
    just realized I need to divide the angle by 2 before applying the formula . the values are much more consistent now .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted