1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron drift question

1. Oct 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A sample of Si, in which 0<=x<=(25*10^-4), electron concentration is n(x)=5*10^16 cm^-3) * exp(-x^3/2*10^-8), temperature is 300k and electron mobility is 1300 cm^2/V*s. The electron current through the Si has both drift and diffusion components and total electron current density through the sample is independent of x.

Find an expression for the electric field as a function of electron current density.
    Evaluate the electric field at 10*10^-4 if the electron current density is 15 A/cm^2.
    Evaluate the electric field at 10*10^-4 if the electron current density is 0 A/cm^2.

2. Relevant equations
    Jn=e*n(x)*un*Ex+e*Dn*du/dx
    Jn=pvd
    Jn=(ep)vdp

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the first part, I think I know how to solve if I can calculate Jn, since I have all the other values except Jn and Ex(which I need to solve for). Is there an equation which lets me solve for Jn with the values I have? Is there a constant I'm missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Oct 24, 2015 #3
    Yeah I solved it, thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted