1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron flow

1. Jan 7, 2012 #1
    What is the speed of electron flow in an eletric curcuit? A battery (cell) with a copper wire shorted across the positive and negative posts. What will the electron flow be through the copper wire?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2012 #2
  4. Jan 7, 2012 #3
    Each individual electron moves very slowly for example in a copper wire of radius 1 mm carrying a steady current of 10 Amps, the drift velocity is only about 0.024 cm/sec.

However because there are electrons throughout the whole length of the copper wire, its a bit like pushing on the end of a pipe full of putty, the putty at the opposite end starts to move even though your end hasn't moved very far.

5. Jan 7, 2012 #4
    does the speed change? or is it constant? for instance does the speed of I depend on its volume which would in turn be dependant on E or R ?

6. Jan 7, 2012 #5
    [itex] I = nAvQ[/itex]

Where,

I = electric current
    n= charged particles per unit volume
    A= cross sectional area of conductor
    v= drift velocity
    Q= charge of each particle

so therefore

[itex] v = \frac{I}{nAQ} [/itex]

7. Jan 7, 2012 #6
    Thank you for your help. Ive been imersed in labor these past 40 years having to set aside some of the questions Ive had since childhood. I thank you for clearing this one up. My electronics instructor years ago said the electrons in a cucuit moved at the speed of light, which I always questioned, because of mass issues, Now I know. thanks again.

8. Jan 7, 2012 #7

http://www.jimloy.com/physics/electric.htm [Broken]

This article should explain it a bit better than I did.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook