EFL: Electron-Free Lasers & Synchrotrons

In summary, the FEL doesn't need a lasing medium, the name implies that the electrons are free, and the radiation is emitted as they pass over the undulator.
oddiseas
I must say that after reading about this concept over the last few days it is one of the most fascinating things. Specificaly the concept of self amplification of spontaneous emission.(SASE)
I am wondering is it possible to use a coventional synchronotron as an EFL? Apart from the undulator what else would need to be changed.Because in both cases the electrons need to acquire a relativistic speed.
Or does the EFL need to be built from scratch.
Also is it a pre condition that in an EFL the path of the elctrons is curved,i mean because the radiation is emmited as they pass over the undulator, so i am thinking it should not make a difference.

If anyone understands an EFL a lot, i think its pretty cool and would like some feedback.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not an expert, but here's what I know:

A synchrotron can't be converted into an FEL, the two are fundamentally different. The path of the electron beam (ignoring the oscillations in the plane as it passes through the undulator) needs to be straight. That's why you can turn a linear accelerator into an FEL, but not a synchrotron. Key to the operation of an FEL is the fact that the radiated field of the electron beam remains in phase with the electrons, and acts back on it. In a synchrotron, the beam is moving along a curve so the radiated field propagates away and does not act on the electron beam.

Laser must have at least 2 possible excited states to operate. The lower of the two must be metastable with respect to the higher state. That's the only way you can build up an inverted population, which is a requirement for lasing.

If you can explain to me how to create a metastable excited state in a synchrotron, we can discuss possibility of using that state to build a laser.

K^2 said:
Laser must have at least 2 possible excited states to operate. The lower of the two must be metastable with respect to the higher state. That's the only way you can build up an inverted population, which is a requirement for lasing.

If you can explain to me how to create a metastable excited state in a synchrotron, we can discuss possibility of using that state to build a laser.

Maybe you know something I don't, but I really don't think this is right. There is no lasing medium for an FEL, the name itself implies that the electrons are free, so how can they have different energy states? It's simply their trajectory that causes the emitted radiation to be coherent. There is no transition between energy levels.

oddiseas said:
I must say that after reading about this concept over the last few days it is one of the most fascinating things. Specificaly the concept of self amplification of spontaneous emission.(SASE)
I am wondering is it possible to use a coventional synchronotron as an EFL? Apart from the undulator what else would need to be changed.Because in both cases the electrons need to acquire a relativistic speed.
Or does the EFL need to be built from scratch.
Also is it a pre condition that in an EFL the path of the elctrons is curved,i mean because the radiation is emmited as they pass over the undulator, so i am thinking it should not make a difference.

If anyone understands an EFL a lot, i think its pretty cool and would like some feedback.

Here's a good link as an intro to SASE FEL

http://hasylab.desy.de/facilities/s...rotron_radiation_to_a_sase_fel/index_eng.html

Zz.

1. What is an Electron-Free Laser (EFL)?

An Electron-Free Laser (EFL) is a type of laser that uses a different mechanism for producing light compared to traditional lasers. Instead of using excited electrons, EFLs use a process called upconversion, where two or more low-energy photons are combined to create a higher-energy photon. This allows EFLs to produce light in a wider range of wavelengths, making them useful for a variety of applications.

2. How do Synchrotrons work?

Synchrotrons are large particle accelerators that use strong magnetic fields to accelerate charged particles, such as electrons, to very high speeds. These particles then emit electromagnetic radiation, including X-rays, as they travel along curved paths in the synchrotron. This radiation can be used for a variety of purposes, such as studying the structure of materials or creating high-resolution images.

3. What are the advantages of using EFLs and Synchrotrons?

EFLs and Synchrotrons have several advantages over traditional lasers and particle accelerators. EFLs have a wider range of wavelengths, making them useful for applications such as medical imaging and telecommunications. Synchrotrons can produce intense and highly focused beams of light, allowing for detailed studies of materials and biological samples. They also have the ability to tune the energy and wavelength of the radiation, making them versatile tools for a variety of scientific research.

4. What are some common uses of EFLs and Synchrotrons?

EFLs are commonly used in medical imaging, such as PET scans, as well as in telecommunications for transmitting data through fiber optic cables. Synchrotrons are used in a variety of scientific fields, including materials science, biology, and chemistry. They are also used in industrial applications, such as producing high-quality X-ray images for quality control in manufacturing.

5. What are the future developments expected in EFLs and Synchrotrons?

Researchers are constantly working to improve the efficiency and capabilities of EFLs and Synchrotrons. One major development in EFL technology is the use of new materials, such as rare earth elements, to improve the upconversion process and produce even more efficient lasers. In the field of Synchrotrons, there is ongoing research into developing more compact and cost-effective designs, as well as improving the quality and resolution of the produced radiation.