Is Electron Gravity the Same as Earth's Gravitational Force?

In summary, the evidence suggests that electrons are massless and fall at the same rate as any other mass.
mkristof
Has anyone ever "fired" an electron down the center of an evacuated tube (horizontally) to see if the electron follows the same trajectory as a bullet fired from a gun? This might seem like a simplistic question, but I have always wanted to know what would happen.

Mark

Physics news on Phys.org
You do know that we have had many long linear accelerator, don't you? I'm fact in synchrotron light sources, the electrons stay in the storage ring for a long time.

In all of these facility, the effect of gravity, even on protons and heavy nuclei, are negligible to indetectable.

Zz.

Likes 1 person
mkristof said:
Has anyone ever "fired" an electron down the center of an evacuated tube (horizontally) to see if the electron follows the same trajectory as a bullet fired from a gun? This might seem like a simplistic question, but I have always wanted to know what would happen.

Electrons will fall at the same rate as any other mass. But you won't measure much of a drop on Earth. Electron gun speeds are in the millions of meters per second. Typical CRT guns in monitors and TVs emit at around 1.5 to 3.5 million m/s. That's awfully fast to observe a trajectory. :bugeye:

In other words the answer to mkristof's question is that the bullet like trajectory has not been experimentally verified. This answer could have been given in neutral manner too.

jostpuur said:
In other words the answer to mkristof's question is that the bullet like trajectory has not been experimentally verified.

Why would you say that? Do you have information to support this?

Are you suggesting that electrons may be massless, or that they might possesses some new property that allows their mass to defy gravity?

The OP wrote, "I have always wanted to know what would happen." I think ZapperZ's and my replies were offered in that direction.

In addition to the other points that have been brought up, there is another issue of practicality: the force on an electron due to the Earth's electric field is a trillion times larger than the force on an electron from the Earth's gravitational field.

Furthermore, if electrons did not fall, we would observe a material dependence to gravity about 40 million times larger than our present best limits. Since we don't see that, we already know the answer from other, less direct measurements.

What is the Electron Gravity Question?

The Electron Gravity Question is a scientific inquiry regarding the nature of the relationship between electrons and gravity. It explores whether or not electrons, which are negatively charged particles, are affected by gravity in the same way as objects with mass.

Why is the Electron Gravity Question important?

The Electron Gravity Question is important because it has the potential to greatly impact our understanding of the fundamental forces that govern the universe. It could also have implications for technologies that rely on our understanding of the relationship between gravity and electricity.

What is the current understanding of the Electron Gravity Question?

Currently, the prevailing scientific belief is that electrons do not have a gravitational force, as they are too small and have no mass. This is based on the Standard Model of particle physics, which has been extensively tested and has accurately predicted many phenomena.

What evidence is there for or against the existence of an electron gravitational force?

There is currently no direct evidence for the existence of an electron gravitational force. However, some theories, such as String Theory, propose the existence of extra dimensions that could potentially explain the relationship between electrons and gravity.

What research is being done to explore the Electron Gravity Question?

Scientists are currently conducting experiments and theoretical studies to further explore the Electron Gravity Question. These include precision measurements of electron properties and investigations into theories that attempt to reconcile gravity and quantum mechanics.