1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron Gun Power supply

1. Aug 23, 2012 #1
    Hi all, I am making electron gun. I have several High voltage power supply to provide enough voltages to Filament, Anode, Grid, Focus and deflection plates. I want to make electron gun of acclerationg potential of 5-8 KeV. I know I have to give negative supply to cathode or filament. and then put positive voltage to anode plate. But I don't know, the values of voltages that can be given to focus and deflection plate. Is there any method to calculate specific voltages ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2012 #2
  4. Aug 23, 2012 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi india
    welcome to PF :)

well there's no negative voltage on the filament as such. take a TV CRT tube electron gun for example ... they are usually fed with ~ 12VAC. The Anode at the front end of the tube has anywhere from 20 - 28 kV on it.

why would you try and build one when you could experiment with an old TV/monitor CRT ?

Dave

5. Aug 24, 2012 #4
    Thanks Dave, Yes I know, I written wrong. I have 14VAC for filament and 20KV supply for the anode. I have already built gun, just amazed to give power supply for focus electrode and deflection plate. So I want to know, what type of power, and how much power I have to give the focus electrode and deflection plate. is there any relationship between them. or any voltage like 150-200V can be given to deflection plate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook