1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron Heat Capacity Integral

1. Nov 12, 2015 #1
    1. The answer to this problem is easy when plugged into mathematica it's (pi^2)/3. I am trying to integrate it by hand however and can't figure out how to start it. I also can't find any other attempts of it online (our professor says we can just look it up if we can find it).

[(x^2*E^x)/(E^x + 1)^2, {x, -Infinity, Infinity}]

2. No equations

3. I've tried U-sub with setting U= (e^x+1) and then tried some integration by parts but I'm not getting there.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This actually turns out to be very complicated to do and I am having trouble giving hints that you can follow without giving too much of the answer away, so please bear with me. At least using Mathematica seems like a legitimate solution to the problem and I don't believe that many people would expect an undergrad to come up with the solution below on their own.

First, integrals of functions of ##x^n## times exponentials can often be done by replacing ##e^x## by ##e^{a x}## and then noting that ##d/da(e^{ax}) = x e^{ax}##, so we try to replace the powers of ##x## with derivatives of another expression. Then we can exploit this by bringing the derivative outside of the integral. For example
    $$\int dx ~ x e^x = \left[ \frac{d}{da} \int dx~e^{ax} \right]_{a=1},$$
    which you should be able to verify by doing both integrals explicitly.

In your case, we can use
    $$ \frac{x^2 e^x}{(e^x+1)^2} = \left[ \frac{d^2}{da^2} \ln ( 1+ e^{ax})\right]_{a=1}.$$
    Furthermore, we can determine the indefinite integral
    $$ \int dx \ln ( 1+ e^{ax}) $$
    in terms of the dilogarithm function (see for instance https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spence's_function)
    $$\text{Li}_2(z) = - \int^z_0 \frac{du}{u} \ln ( 1-u).$$

The big difficulty here is that the dilogarithm is infinite as ##z\rightarrow -\infty##, so the naive substitution for your integral over the whole real axis will result in a divergent integral. (The dilogarithm is also usually not defined for ##1 \leq z < \infty##, but I believe that the proper substitutions keep us on the negative real axis.) However, I believe that it is possible to show that the definite integral
    $$ F(a) =\int_{-\infty}^0 dx \ln ( 1+ e^{ax}) $$
    exists. So we should break your original integral into two parts, then the answer can be expressed as the appropriate derivative of ##F(a)+F(-a)##.

It will probably be important to use the results (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spence's_function#Special_values) ##\text{Li}_2(-1)=-\pi^2/12## and ##\text{Li}_2(0)=0.##

4. Nov 14, 2015 #3
    Thanks but this is math I am completely unfamiliar with. It ended up being doable also with a contour integral.

SOLVED.

Attached Files:

5. Nov 14, 2015 #4
    I drew it terribly above but you catch my drift.

6. Nov 14, 2015 #5

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sure, I didn't seriously consider suggesting the contour integral because it is a bit rare to find someone comfortable with the method. I probably should have asked first. It's good that you were able to work it out yourself that way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted