Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron Impact Ionization

1. Apr 10, 2015 #1
    Hello, I just have a quick question about electron impact ionization.

How exactly are the electrons accelerated? Are they attracted by an anode?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2015 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

In what context is this happening? Is this about electron impact ionization in a specific device?

4. Apr 11, 2015 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is extremely vague, because there are many different ways to do this. You need to cite specific type of experiment that you had in mind. If this is from something you read, cite the exact source as you would when you cite a reference in a paper.

Zz.

5. Apr 11, 2015 #4
    I read it on Wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_ionization

It says that electrons are produced through thermionic emissions, and then are accelerated. It didn't say how they are accelerated.

If there are multiple ways, which ones are typical and common.

6. Apr 11, 2015 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I believe a typical way of accelerating them is to apply a negative voltage to either the filament itself or an electrode on one side of the filament so that electrons are accelerated by the electric field. I'm sure it's possible to use a positive electrode instead (or in conjunction with a negative electrode) if the configuration of the device allows it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook