Electron in a uniform electric field.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnitude and direction of an electric field in the scenario of an electron accelerating in a uniform electric field. The formula given is E= k|q|/d^2, where d represents the distance from the starting to ending point of the acceleration. Additionally, the question is asked about using the definition of electric field to find the acceleration, and it is clarified that the formula given is for a point particle and not a uniform electric field. The conversation concludes with a question about the final answer being too small.
evgeniy
First, am I correct on this: If an electron is accelerating upwards in a uniform electric field, then the electric field's direction is pointed opposite, or downwards, right? And to calculate the magnitude and direction of the electric field, I just use the formula

E= k|q|/d^2

The question is: the d, is it the distance from where it starts to where it stops? I ask this because I am aslo given that the acceleration is 4.5m in the first 3 micro-seconds. SO should I divide 3micro-s by 4.5 to find what the d is after 1 s?
Or did I get all this wrong?

Another thing: Can I use the definition of electric field and use : a = F/m or

a = eE/m ? since I know the charge and the mass and the acceleration?
THanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first sentence is right. But the first formula you gave is for the field of a point particle (at a distance d), while in this problem there is a uniform electric field, like the one set up between the plates of a large parellel plate capacitor. You don't have to worry about the source of the field, though. Just use the acceleration to find the force on the electron and get the field from this, like you suggested at the end.

Okay I got it. But my final answer is 8.54 * 10^(-18), isn't it too small? Or am I correct?

1. What is an electron in a uniform electric field?

An electron in a uniform electric field refers to the movement of an electron in a consistent and constant electric field. The electron experiences a force in the direction of the field and will accelerate in that direction.

2. How does an electron behave in a uniform electric field?

In a uniform electric field, an electron will move in a straight line in the direction of the field. Its speed will increase as it accelerates under the influence of the electric force.

3. What is the equation for the force experienced by an electron in a uniform electric field?

The force experienced by an electron in a uniform electric field is calculated using the equation F = qE, where q is the charge of the electron and E is the strength of the electric field.

4. What factors affect the motion of an electron in a uniform electric field?

The speed and direction of an electron in a uniform electric field can be affected by the strength of the electric field, the charge of the electron, and the mass of the electron.

5. How is the motion of an electron in a uniform electric field related to electrical potential and voltage?

The motion of an electron in a uniform electric field is related to electrical potential and voltage through the equation V = Ed, where V is the voltage, E is the electric field, and d is the distance traveled by the electron. The greater the potential difference, the greater the acceleration of the electron.