1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron in two Potential Wells

1. May 31, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An electron can be in one of two potential wells that are so close that it can “tunnel” from one to the other (see §5.2 for a description of quantum- mechanical tunnelling). Its state vector can be written
    |ψ⟩ = a|A⟩ + b|B⟩, (1.45)
    where |A⟩ is the state of being in the first well and |B⟩ is the state of being in the second well and all kets are correctly normalised. What is the probability of finding the particle in the first well given that: (a) a = i/2; (b) b = e^(i*pi); (c) b = 1/3 + i/√2?

2. Relevant equations

a*a is the probability of finding a particle in state A

3. The attempt at a solution

The question is confusing me. I don't know what the second b is for. Also, these are supposed to be normalized according to the question, but b*b (for the first b) would be 1 all by itself. Is this question ok, and I am just missing something?

Thanks,
    Chris Maness
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2014 #2

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, the probability to be in state ##A## is ##|a|^{2}## (square modulus, different from simple square for complex numbers). If ##|b|## has value ##1##, it just means that ##a## must be zero if the state is normalized. If one of the constants ##a,b## is given, you can deduce the absolute value of the another from the normalization condition.

4. May 31, 2014 #3
    Yes, I show that the probability for finding the system in state a is a*a. Where a* is the complex conjugate of a. This is the mod squared for a complex number. The only problem I am having is that he states that it is already normalized. I expect |a|^2 +|b|^2=1, but it is not, and then there is another b too. This confuses me more.

Chris

5. May 31, 2014 #4

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, I confused the star "*" with a multiplication sign. The parts (a), (b) and (c) are separate problems and have different states of form ##a\left|A \right> + b\left|B\right> ## as answers. You are not given two values of ##b## for solving the same problem.

6. May 31, 2014 #5
    Perfect, thanks. I have been doing too many math problems that have the phrase "show that" in them :D

Chris KQ6UP

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted