Electron in two Potential Wells

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of finding an electron in a potential well when given different values for the constants a and b in the state vector |ψ⟩ = a|A⟩ + b|B⟩. The probability is calculated using the square modulus of the constants, and the process is complicated by the fact that the state vector must be normalized. The confusion over the extra b value is cleared up, as the different parts (a), (b), and (c) are separate problems and only one value of b is given for each.
kq6up

Homework Statement

An electron can be in one of two potential wells that are so close that it can “tunnel” from one to the other (see §5.2 for a description of quantum- mechanical tunnelling). Its state vector can be written
|ψ⟩ = a|A⟩ + b|B⟩, (1.45)
where |A⟩ is the state of being in the first well and |B⟩ is the state of being in the second well and all kets are correctly normalised. What is the probability of finding the particle in the first well given that: (a) a = i/2; (b) b = e^(i*pi); (c) b = 1/3 + i/√2?

Homework Equations

a*a is the probability of finding a particle in state A

The Attempt at a Solution

The question is confusing me. I don't know what the second b is for. Also, these are supposed to be normalized according to the question, but b*b (for the first b) would be 1 all by itself. Is this question ok, and I am just missing something?

Thanks,
Chris Maness

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, the probability to be in state ##A## is ##|a|^{2}## (square modulus, different from simple square for complex numbers). If ##|b|## has value ##1##, it just means that ##a## must be zero if the state is normalized. If one of the constants ##a,b## is given, you can deduce the absolute value of the another from the normalization condition.

hilbert2 said:
Actually, the probability to be in state ##A## is ##|a|^{2}## (square modulus, different from simple square for complex numbers). If ##|b|## has value ##1##, it just means that ##a## must be zero if the state is normalized. If one of the constants ##a,b## is given, you can deduce the absolute value of the another from the normalization condition.

Yes, I show that the probability for finding the system in state a is a*a. Where a* is the complex conjugate of a. This is the mod squared for a complex number. The only problem I am having is that he states that it is already normalized. I expect |a|^2 +|b|^2=1, but it is not, and then there is another b too. This confuses me more.

Chris

Sorry, I confused the star "*" with a multiplication sign. The parts (a), (b) and (c) are separate problems and have different states of form ##a\left|A \right> + b\left|B\right> ## as answers. You are not given two values of ##b## for solving the same problem.

Likes 1 person
Perfect, thanks. I have been doing too many math problems that have the phrase "show that" in them :D

Chris KQ6UP

1. What is an electron in two potential wells?

An electron in two potential wells refers to a physical system in which an electron is confined to two potential wells, or regions of space with different potential energy levels. This can occur in a variety of systems, such as a quantum dot or a double-well potential in a solid state system.

2. How does an electron behave in two potential wells?

The behavior of an electron in two potential wells is governed by the principles of quantum mechanics. The electron's wave function will be confined to the two potential wells and it will exhibit both particle-like and wave-like behavior, such as tunneling between the wells and exhibiting interference patterns.

3. What are the applications of studying an electron in two potential wells?

Studying an electron in two potential wells has many practical applications, particularly in the field of nanotechnology. It can be used to understand and engineer the behavior of electrons in quantum devices, such as transistors and sensors. It also has potential applications in quantum computing and information processing.

4. How is an electron in two potential wells different from a single potential well?

An electron in two potential wells differs from a single potential well in that it has more degrees of freedom and can exhibit more complex behavior. In a single potential well, the electron is confined to one region of space, whereas in two potential wells, it can move between two regions with different potential energy levels.

5. What are the challenges in studying an electron in two potential wells?

One of the main challenges in studying an electron in two potential wells is the complex nature of the system and the need for advanced mathematical and computational tools to accurately describe its behavior. Additionally, the behavior of an electron in two potential wells is highly sensitive to external factors, making experimental studies difficult to control and interpret.