Understanding Electron-Optic Biprism Phenomenon in Electron Microscopes

In summary, the problem is that the student cannot understand what the electron microscope is showing and what the picture looks like. The problem is geometry and solving the problem.
meteorologist1
Hi, I'm having trouble with a problem that I'm doing in my electricity and magnetism class. I can't even understand what it's asking and what the picture looks like.

Here is the problem:
In an electron microscope, a beam of energetic electrons, originally accelerated through a potential of Vo (which is typically a few thousand volts), passes a thin charged long wire stretched at right angles to the original beam. Assume the line charge density is lambda, and that the beam is slightly deflected by the wire. Show that the angular deflection of the beam from its original path is independent of the distance of the electron beam from the wire (i.e.: independent of "impact parameter"). Such an arrangement is called an "electron-optic biprism" since electrons passing on opposite sides of the wire are oppositely and equally deflected. [Hint: Assume to first approximation that the beam velocity in the forward direction is unaffected. Find the transverse velocity.]

If anyone can explain this phenomenon to me, that would be great. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What part don't you understand : the geometry or the way to solve the problem ?

Both actually.

Geometry : Imagine you have a cross made of two straight lines. Grab the two lines and separate them, so that you have two lines which look perpendicular to each other but are actually offset. One of these lines represents the deflector wire (or line of charge), and the second represents the path of the electron beam, if it were not deflected.

Does this make sense ?

Ok I see. What about the part of being accelerated through a potential of Vo? Are there parallel plates or something?

Ok, nevermind on the parallel plates. I see that the Vo serves to give the electron an initial energy. But I'm still stuck on this problem.

I have the formula for the electric field due to a line charge: E = (lambda) / [2(pi)(epsilon0)(r)] where r is the distance from the wire. The potential is V = - (lambda) / [2(pi)(epsilon0) ln(r/a)] where a is where we set the zero potential to be. Somehow I have to figure out the velocities in the x and y components and then to get the deflection angle; the deflection angle = arctan(v_y/v_x). And this answer should be indepedent of the impact parameter.

Please help. Thanks.

1. What is an electron microscope problem?

An electron microscope problem refers to any issue or obstacle that may arise in the use or operation of an electron microscope. It can range from technical malfunctions to difficulties in obtaining accurate and reliable results.

2. What are some common electron microscope problems?

Some common electron microscope problems include sample preparation difficulties, focus and resolution issues, charging or contamination of the sample, and instrument malfunctions such as vacuum leaks or power failures.

3. How can electron microscope problems be prevented?

To prevent electron microscope problems, regular maintenance and calibration of the instrument are essential. Proper training and adherence to best practices for sample preparation and handling can also minimize the occurrence of problems.

4. What should I do if I encounter an electron microscope problem?

If you encounter an electron microscope problem, the first step is to troubleshoot and try to identify the cause. You may refer to the instrument manual or seek assistance from a trained technician. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and avoid attempting to fix the problem yourself if you are not qualified.

5. Can electron microscope problems be fixed?

In most cases, electron microscope problems can be fixed with the help of a trained technician. However, if the issue is severe or requires replacement of parts, it may take some time and additional resources to resolve the problem.