1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron motion = light?

1. Feb 25, 2012 #1
    electron motion = light??

When an electron moves( or any charge particle moves) it creates a magnetic field around it according to biot-savarts law and ofcourse it creates an electric field around it.

So a moving electron creates light as both electric and magnetic field are present? Am i right? plz correct me if im not

Im very confused about light. It contains both electric and magnetic fields then it should contain a charged particle otherwise how these fields will be created

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2012 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: electron motion = light??

Not quite. An electron has to accelerate to create EM waves (light). An electron which moves uniformly only has static E and B fields.

4. Feb 25, 2012 #3

So for light we need changing E and B fields?

And plz answer my second question : IF light contains both electric and magnetic fields then it should contain a charged particle otherwise how these fields will be created ?

5. Feb 26, 2012 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Electromagnetic waves are self-sustaining. Changing electric fields will generate magnetic fields and visa versa.

6. Feb 26, 2012 #5

Not exactly, the velocity of electron must change, in order to do that. Otherwise shifting to another inertial reference frame, you would see stationary electrons emitting EM waves, which violates the principle of relativity

7. Feb 26, 2012 #6

questions keep popping in my mind. Electrons are accelerating in an atom too right? Do they emit EM waves?

8. Feb 26, 2012 #7

That's the problem of Rutherford's model, where electrons emit EM waves and collapse to the nucleus. Therefore, quantum mechanics, which later modified the model of atoms denied that would happen under scale of electrons and nucleons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook