1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron Muon Scattering

1. Apr 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm having trouble with e-muon scattering. Tree level, no loops. (This is problem 7.26 in Griffiths Intro to Elem Particles). I get that the amplitude is as stated in the text, but I am having problems coming up with a number when the momenta and spins are added in.

This is in the COM frame with the electron travelling up the z axis with momentum p and the muon going down the z axis with the same momentum. They then repel and go back the way they came. All helicities are assumed to be +1.

2. Relevant equations

The amplitude is given as [tex]-\frac{4\pi\alpha}{(p_1-p_3)^2} \bar{u}_3\gamma^\mu u_1 \bar{u}_4\gamma_\mu u_2[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution

As far as I can figure, [tex]p_1 = (E_1/c,0,0,p)[/tex], [tex]p_3 = (E_1/c,0,0,-p)[/tex], [tex]p_2 = (E_2/c,0,0,-p)[/tex], and [tex]p_4 = (E_2/c,0,0,p)[/tex], for the incoming and outgoing electron, and incoming and outgoing muon, respectively. That would make the spinors equal to:

[tex]u_1 = n (1,0,p/n^2,0)^T[/tex]
    [tex]u_3 = n (1,0,-p/n^2,0)^T[/tex]
    [tex]u_2 = N (1,0,-p/N^2,0)^T[/tex]
    [tex]u_4 = N (1,0,p/N^2,0)^T[/tex]

where [tex]n=\frac{E_1+m_e c^2}{c}[/tex] and [tex]N=\frac{E_2+m_\mu c^2}{c}[/tex]
    That makes the adjoints
    [tex]\bar{u}_3 = u_3^\dagger\gamma^0 = n (1,0,p/n^2,0)[/tex] and
    [tex]\bar{u}_4 = u_4^\dagger\gamma^0 = N (1,0,-p/N^2,0)[/tex]

These are all in the form of [tex](A, 0, B, 0)\gamma^\mu(A, 0, B, 0)^T[/tex]. It appears to work out that this is always 0 unless [tex]\mu=0[/tex]. But [tex]\bar{u}_3[/tex] looks exactly like [tex]u_1^\dagger[/tex], so [tex]\bar{u}_3\gamma^0 u_1 = u_1^\dagger\gamma^0 u_1 = \bar{u}_1 u_1 = 2m_e c[/tex]. The muon term works out the same way to [tex]2m_\mu c[/tex]. That makes the spinor contribution [tex]4m_e m_\mu c^2[/tex]

The [tex](p_1-p_3)^2[/tex] term in the denominator should be [tex]((E_1/c,0,0,p)-(E_1/c,0,0,-p))^2 = -4p^2[/tex] assuming the incoming and outgoing energies are the same, giving the final result [tex]M = \frac{4\pi\alpha m_e m_\mu c^2}{p^2}[/tex].

I know this is wrong, because the probability shouldn't be dependent on the initial momentum: I could make that momentum as low as I want and make the amplitude as high as I want. Besides, it differs from the answer given in the text and also the answer given in the Physics Bowl episode of The Big Bang Theory! Not sure where I went wrong, though.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2009 #2
    post deleted

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  4. Apr 17, 2009 #3
    Now I got it. Never mind, y'all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook