Understanding Electron Orbits: Curved Space or Other Explanation?

In summary, there is another explanation for the behavior of electron "orbits" in atoms - Coulombic potential, which is already verified and less esoteric. This can be seen in the solution to the Schrodinger equation for the hydrogen atom. The "orbits" are actually not classical orbits, but are present in the wavefunction. The source of charge for electrons and protons is also discussed, with the idea that quarks could be categorized as three types of electrons similar to oscillatory neutrinos. However, this discussion may be better suited for the Theory Development section.
Spin_Network
Do Electron orbits follow the curved space, created by the Nucleus, or is there an other explanitory reason?

Physics news on Phys.org
Spin_Network said:
Do Electron orbits follow the curved space, created by the Nucleus, or is there an other explanitory reason?

There's another explanation that is less esoteric and already verified - Coulombic potential. Refer to the solution to the Schrodinger equation for the H atom, for example. All the "orbits" are there if you realize that there are no such thing as a classical orbits the way I am guessing that you are understanding it.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
There's another explanation that is less esoteric and already verified - Coulombic potential. Refer to the solution to the Schrodinger equation for the H atom, for example. All the "orbits" are there if you realize that there are no such thing as a classical orbits the way I am guessing that you are understanding it.

Zz.

So Is the Coulombe Potential a 'far-off' effect of Quarks inverse structure?

Forgive my simpleton questions, but the potential of a Volume that has Area, give the location of 3-D matter..but surely the internal structure of a Volume and Area, must reduce to a 2-D Area only?..in this sense the Electron orbit is the 'curvature' signal of a compact location of 2-D 'fixed' flat space/area?

External observation is explained by the Shrodinger wavefunction, for Hydrogen Atom, but remove the Electron and one also removes the 'Potential', protons in their bare nakedness, carry charge, instead of Electrons?

Forgive me again, but this implies that charge is the 'source' potential of Electrons + or -..and thus Quark charge could be catagorized as being three types of Electrons?..much the same as oscillatory neutrino's?

I know the original thinking behind the Electron source, was it was a Quark, that has trancended from a 2-D area, into a 3-D 'minimum' volume?

Spin_Network said:
So Is the Coulombe Potential a 'far-off' effect of Quarks inverse structure?

Forgive my simpleton questions, but the potential of a Volume that has Area, give the location of 3-D matter..but surely the internal structure of a Volume and Area, must reduce to a 2-D Area only?..in this sense the Electron orbit is the 'curvature' signal of a compact location of 2-D 'fixed' flat space/area?

External observation is explained by the Shrodinger wavefunction, for Hydrogen Atom, but remove the Electron and one also removes the 'Potential', protons in their bare nakedness, carry charge, instead of Electrons?

Forgive me again, but this implies that charge is the 'source' potential of Electrons + or -..and thus Quark charge could be catagorized as being three types of Electrons?..much the same as oscillatory neutrino's?

I know the original thinking behind the Electron source, was it was a Quark, that has trancended from a 2-D area, into a 3-D 'minimum' volume?

Er... huh?

This is verging on something that should go into the Theory Development wasteland.

Have you ever looked at how the solutions to the H atom was derived? Did you not see what the "V" was in there?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Er... huh?

This is verging on something that should go into the Theory Development wasteland.

Have you ever looked at how the solutions to the H atom was derived? Did you not see what the "V" was in there?

Zz.

Yep, and forgive me for making you dumb down to my level, but the question was quite simple, obviously TOO simple to explain with your hirger intillect:

http://www.physik.fu-berlin.de/~kleinert/kleiner_re267/node2.html

Spin_Network said:
Yep, and forgive me for making you dumb down to my level, but the question was quite simple, obviously TOO simple to explain with your hirger intillect:

http://www.physik.fu-berlin.de/~kleinert/kleiner_re267/node2.html

What does that have anything to do with this?

You asked if "curved space" have anything to do with electron "orbitals". I'm asking on why such things would be necessary since for H and He atoms, the exact solutions ARE already available using straightforward QM that we teach people in into QM! You were making it sounds as if "coulomb potential", which is nothing more than the usual electrostatic potential, is some esoteric "far-off' effect of Quarks inverse structure". What the... ? And quarks is made up of 3 types of electrons?

Oy vey...

I recommend that this thread be shoved into TD section.

Zz.

What is the concept of curved space in relation to electron orbits?

The concept of curved space in relation to electron orbits is a theoretical explanation for the behavior of electrons in an atom. According to this idea, the fabric of space-time is not flat but curved, and the mass of the atom creates this curvature. The electron then follows this curved path, much like a marble rolling on a curved surface.

How does the idea of curved space explain the stability of electron orbits?

The concept of curved space explains the stability of electron orbits by suggesting that the curvature of space-time creates a sort of "force" that keeps the electron in orbit around the nucleus. This force is called the "centrifugal force" and is a result of the electron's inertia pushing against the curvature of space-time.

Is curved space the only explanation for electron orbits?

No, curved space is not the only explanation for electron orbits. Another commonly accepted explanation is the quantum mechanical model, which describes electrons as existing in discrete energy levels and moving in a probabilistic manner around the nucleus.

How do scientists study and understand electron orbits?

Scientists study and understand electron orbits through various methods, such as mathematical models, experiments, and observations. They also use advanced technologies, such as electron microscopes, to directly observe electron behavior in atoms.

What implications does the concept of curved space have for our understanding of the universe?

The concept of curved space has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It is a fundamental concept in Einstein's theory of general relativity, which revolutionized our understanding of gravity and space-time. It also has implications for the behavior of matter and energy on a large scale, such as the formation of galaxies and the expansion of the universe.