Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron probabiltiy density

1. Feb 17, 2012 #1
    Ok im a noob in quantum mechanics so plz keep the level down for me to understand.
    My text gives a graph of probability density(ψ^2) of 1s orbital agaisnt distance r -
    The graph is maximum near the nucleus and then decreases - i always thought electron has max probability at the bohr's radius but the graph seemsto show max near the nucleus. IS it correct.

Searching at many places i have actually found two graphs - one which shows maximum at nucleus and then it decreases and
    other which shows zero at nucleus and then increases upto a point and then decreases

Are both different ? Which is correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2012 #2

Jano L.

Gold Member

Hello jd12345,
    in fact both graphs are correct:

1) The graph of the function with the maximum at the proton gives the probability that the electron is inside small ball-like region of volume [itex]\Delta V[/itex] of physical space located in a distance [itex]r[/itex] divided by that volume: [itex]f_1(r) = \frac{\Delta p}{\Delta V} [/itex].

2) The graph with the maximum around the Bohr radius gives the probability that the electron is inside a shell of radius [itex]r[/itex] divided by the thickness of the shell: [itex]f_1(r) =\frac{\Delta p}{\Delta r}.[/itex]

It turns out that for the first psi - function of the hydrogen atom,

[tex]
    f_1(r) = Ce^{-2r/a_{\mathrm{B}}}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    f_2(r) = 4\pi r^2 f_1(r) = C4\pi r^2 e^{-2r/a_{\mathrm{B}}}.
    [/tex]

where [itex]C[/itex] is a normalization constant and [itex]a_{\mathrm{B}}[/itex] is the Bohr radius.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook