Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron radius r_s

  1. Sep 14, 2010 #1
    I am looking for data on the coefficient [tex]r_s[/tex], which is related to the radius of a sphere such that, for a given density of electrons, there is one electron pers sphere on average.

    I have seen it expressed as [tex]r_s = r/a_0[/tex] where r is the radius of the sphere and [tex]a_0[/tex] is the bohr radius. Does the coefficient have a name? Is there a resource online for reading up on it?
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2010 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    That parameter is named Seitz radius. It is mainly used in publications dealing with the homogeneous electron gas (e.g., derivations for density functionals).
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook