Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron repulsion

1. Mar 28, 2006 #1
    does electron repulsion have any coorelation with grenade explosions???
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2006 #2

Gold Member

What??? Electrons do not explode away from negative charges, they are just repelled away
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  4. Mar 28, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do they ? :wink:
  5. Mar 29, 2006 #4
    what???^^^^ i juat want to know the answer to my question...please help me!!!!
  6. Mar 29, 2006 #5

Gold Member

Negative, crewgurl. (No pun intended.) A grenade uses chemical explosives or other payloads such as phosphorus. Detonation is triggered by either impact or time-delay fuses.
  7. Mar 29, 2006 #6
    The energy of the explosion comes from the electrons, which on explosion give away energy when forming more stable (less energetic) molecules. BUT a grenade doesn't explode because of the electromagnetic repulsion between the electrons.

I assume that this is what you were after. (?)
  8. Mar 29, 2006 #7
    Explosives work by using a chemical reaction that turns a solid into a gas very quickly. The gas occupies more than a thousand times more volume than the solid at normal temperatures and pressures and so a great deal of pressure and expansion is generated and this is the explosion. In general the atoms are the same size before and after the explosion it is just that the chemical forces bonding the solid no longer hold them together and they can move freely.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?