Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron repulsion

1. Jan 7, 2010 #1
    Can general relativity explain electron-electron repulsion?
    Not asking how it may explain the result but how exactly could a certain mass produce such a phenomenon as electrostatic repulsion, please be elaborate in your response.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

General relativity has nothing to say about electomagnetic force. A full discussion of this subject is within quantum electrodynamics.
  4. Jan 7, 2010 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This depends completely on what you mean by "explain."
  5. Jan 8, 2010 #4
    by explain I mean:
    is there a plausible model for a mass that has a repulsive force towards its kind similar to an electron in the boundaries of the general theory of relativity.
    I do not mean to ask however, if the model of an electron is accepted as a mass that has an electromagnetic force.what would the characteristics of such an electron be?
    If you still didn't understand my question, Richard Feynman himself once said that he can not tell us why it is like that but he can tell us how it is.when he came across QED in one of his seminars.
    my question is why should an electron have an opposing force towards another?
    is there a way to explain that in GR?
    from what i know so far there is no way to explain it but many ways to accept it.
    A good analogy would be
    Newton discovered gravity and accepted its consequences while Einstein EXPLAINED how the universe works in order for a gravitational field to be apparent.And therefore ridding us the need for the word gravity!
    Is there any model that explains the repulsive force of an electron??
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook