1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron scattering angles?

1. Oct 21, 2009 #1
    hi,
    here's the problem:

imagine a heavy nucleus and an electron approaching it with some momentum pi.
    it scatters elastically off the nucleus at some angle [tex]\theta[/tex] and momentum pf. the nucleus can be considered to remain at rest, since it is so massive.

I have to start with the definition of vector q = pi - pf, get an expression for q^2 (the square of the magnitude of the vector q), and show that the angular dependence of the scattering is given by the Rutherford formula,

[tex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}[/tex] [tex]\propto 1/(sin^4(\theta/2))
    [/tex]

my attempted solution:

so far i've worked out that q2 = (pi - pf)2 = pi2 - pf2 - 2pi.pf
    ie. q2 = 2p2 - 2p2cos([tex]\theta[/tex])
    = 2p2(1-cos([tex]\theta[/tex]))
    since the magnitudes of pi and pf are equal.

then I got 1 - cos([tex]\theta[/tex]) = 2sin2([tex]\theta/2[/tex])
    by using cos(A+B) = cos(A)cos(B) - sin(A)sin(B) where A = B = [tex]\theta/2[/tex]

then I looked at Fermi's Golden Rule:

[tex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}[/tex] = ([tex]2\pi[/tex]/[tex]\hbar[/tex])|Mfi|2Df

where the matrix element |Mfi| = [tex]\frac{4g^2\pi\hbar}{q^2 + (mc)^2}[/tex]
    which is a result that is given to me in a previous part of the problem.

clearly when used in Fermi's Golden Rule, the square of the matrix element gives 3 terms, one of which is the 1/q4 term I am looking for, but also 2 other terms. Is there a way for me to get rid of the 2 extra terms or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2009 #2
    actually, ignore this question, i figured it out. the mass m = 0. i'm an idiot. can't even find a way to delete the question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook