How Does the Electron Shell Value Relate to Electron Position Within Subshells?

In summary, the electron shell, represented by a value n>= 1, refers to the distance of the electron from the nucleus as well as the energy level. The subshell, represented by L, refers to the shape of the electron cloud. The p subshell is shaped like a peanut or figure eight, with the center of the p-orbital at the nucleus. This means that the electron can exist at various distances from the nucleus within the p-subshell, which may seem contradictory to the value n representing the distance from the nucleus. However, the value of n also represents the energy level, not just the distance. Orbitals are mathematical equations for electrons and the electron is constantly moving, making its exact location impossible to determine.
AcidRainLiTE
In my chemistry textbook it says that the electron shell, represented by a value n>= 1, refers to the distance of the electron from the nucleus. It also says that the subshell (represented by L) refers to the shape of the electron cloud. The p subshell is shaped like a peanut or figure eight. My understanding of the subshell brings me to say that the center of the p-orbital (the intersection of the figure eight) is basically at the nucleus. So the electron could be anywhere in that peanut shaped distrubution. This means that the electron could be at the farthest point (from the nucleus) in the p-subshell, or extremely close to the nucleus (near the intersection of the figure-eight), or anywhere inbetween. Doesn't this go against the value n for the electron shell, which is supposed to represent the distance from the nucleus. Rephrased, if the subshell allows the electron to exist over a range of distances from the nucleus what relavance does the value n (distance from the nucleus) have if the electron is not limited to that distance? Am I misunderstanding some concepts? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I have also wondered about this before. But I have never heard the statement that "electron shell, represented by a value n>= 1, refers to the distance of the electron from the nucleus." This sounds weird.

In my textbook, the definition given for a shell, is "a group of orbitals with the same value of n." So, I think this one makes more sense. Meanwhile, a subshell is a group of orbtals with the same value of n and l.

The value of n also represents the energy level.

Another thing, orbitals and orbits are 2 different things. Orbitals are mathematical equations (wave functions) for electrons in atoms. And the probability of finding an electron at a given point is proportional to the amplitude of the elctron wave squared.

And electron is not stationary in the orbital. It is always moving. So we can only use the term probability to "describe" it.

Your understanding of the subshell and electron distribution is correct. The subshell does refer to the shape of the electron cloud, and the p subshell is indeed shaped like a peanut or figure eight. However, the electron is not limited to a specific distance from the nucleus. The value n for the electron shell represents the main energy level or principal quantum number, and it determines the overall size and energy of the electron cloud. Within each electron shell, there are subshells (s, p, d, f) that have different shapes and orientations, but they all contribute to the overall size and energy of the electron cloud. So while the p subshell may have a peanut shape, the overall size of the electron cloud is still determined by the value of n. Additionally, the probability of finding an electron at a specific distance from the nucleus is not equal throughout the electron cloud. There are regions of higher probability, known as orbitals, which correspond to different subshells. So while the electron may be able to exist at different distances from the nucleus within the p subshell, there are still regions of higher probability within that subshell. In summary, the value n for the electron shell and the shape of the subshell both play a role in determining the overall size and energy of the electron cloud, and they are not mutually exclusive.

1. What is an electron shell?

An electron shell is a region of space surrounding the nucleus of an atom where electrons are likely to be found. It is also known as an energy level and is represented by the letters K, L, M, N, etc.

2. How many electrons can each shell hold?

The first shell, or K shell, can hold a maximum of 2 electrons. The second shell, or L shell, can hold a maximum of 8 electrons. The third shell, or M shell, can hold a maximum of 18 electrons.

3. What is a subshell?

A subshell is a group of orbitals within an electron shell. Subshells are labeled using letters such as s, p, d, f, etc. Each subshell has a different shape and can hold a specific number of electrons.

4. What is the Aufbau principle in relation to electron shells and subshells?

The Aufbau principle states that electrons fill the lowest energy levels first before moving to higher energy levels. This means that the 1s subshell will be filled before the 2s subshell, and so on.

5. How does the number of electrons in the outermost shell affect an atom's chemical properties?

The number of electrons in the outermost shell, also known as the valence shell, determines an atom's chemical properties. Elements with a full outermost shell, such as noble gases, are stable and less likely to react with other elements. Elements with incomplete outermost shells are more reactive as they try to gain or lose electrons to achieve a full outer shell.