1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron speed

1. May 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The potential between the cathode and the screen of a computer is 12kV. What is the speed of an electron when it reaches the screen if it starts at rest at the cathode?

3. The attempt at a solution

First I found that the force that acts on the electron is 1.922E-15 N. I can then find the acceleration, but I need the distance between the cathode and the screen to find the speed.

Can I use energy conservation? Probably. Gravitational forces can be ignored. (1/2)mv^2 = Epot But what is the the expression for potential energy? Not mgh. Can I simply replace m with charge, g with E and h with the potential?

1/2)mv^2 = eEU

?

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2008 #2
    Generally the electric and gravitational potentials will NOT take the same form - good try though. The answer is much simpler - it is contained in the problem statement (hint hint: what are the first 2 words?).

4. May 11, 2008 #3
    The potential. Probably eV then? But why?

5. May 12, 2008 #4
    The idea of replacing mgh with eEh is a bit careless but has some meaning if understood properly: Work done by constant forces is F*s, where F is -mg in the first case and eE in the second case. Since the change of energy equals -work, the analog expression of mgh is actually -eEh. However the electric field is not always uniform, so -Eh must generaly be replaced by Integral(-E*dh)=U

Last edited: May 12, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?