What is the Default Speed of an Electron in a Vacuum?

In summary, the speed of an electron is relative to the frame of the observer and can have a range of velocities, including zero. Light is the only thing with a fixed speed relative to all reference frames, making the question of an "agreed-upon" speed for electrons nonsensical.
physx_420
This isn't a homework question but if it belongs in another thread please tell me so I can switch it.

I was just wondering if there is an "agreed-upon" speed that an electron would travel in say a vacuum? I understand that one can continue adding energy until the electron reaches very nearly the speed of light, but how fast does it go to begin with? Sorry in advanced if this is somewhat trivial.

Physics news on Phys.org
A speed relative to what?

hi physx_420! :wink:

an electron can have zero speed

as Dr Lots-o'watts says, its speed depends on the frame of the observer :smile:

A group at the University of Washington had a single electron stored in a magnetic trap (in vacuum) for about 6 months, but one morning they looked for it and it wasn't there. How fast is that?

CERN in Switzerland built an accelerator that accelerated electrons to about 50 billion electron volts (in vacuum), which is about 0.999999999 times the speed of light.

Bob S

tiny-tim said:
hi physx_420! :wink:

an electron can have zero speed

Can it really? Electrons, like everything else, are subject to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. If it's velocity is zero then it's position would be infinitely uncertain, it would have an equal probability of being anywhere in an infinite universe. I don't believe the universe is infinite to its velocity cannot be zero. It can be uncertain within a range that includes zero, but that is a different thing.

The expectation value for velocity can nonetheless be zero.

Light is the only thing that has a fixed speed relative to all reference frames so, as others said, the question doesn't make sense. There is NO one speed all electrons must have.

1. What is the default speed of an electron in a vacuum?

The default speed of an electron in a vacuum is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, which is also known as the speed of light.

2. Is the default speed of an electron in a vacuum constant?

Yes, the speed of an electron in a vacuum is considered to be a constant value, as it is defined by the speed of light in a vacuum.

3. How was the default speed of an electron in a vacuum determined?

The default speed of an electron in a vacuum was first determined through experiments conducted by scientists such as Albert Michelson and Edward Morley in the late 19th century. This value was later refined and confirmed by other experiments, including the famous Michelson-Morley experiment.

4. Does the default speed of an electron in a vacuum vary in different environments?

The default speed of an electron in a vacuum is considered to be a fundamental constant and is not affected by different environments. However, in other mediums such as air or water, the speed of an electron may be slightly slower due to interactions with other particles.

5. How does the default speed of an electron in a vacuum relate to the theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity states that the speed of light in a vacuum is the maximum speed at which energy, information, or matter can travel. Since the default speed of an electron in a vacuum is equivalent to the speed of light, it is also considered to be the maximum speed at which an electron can travel.