Electron spin probabilities

In summary: Can you answer my questions?I don't understand what you mean, so I can't tell if your result will be correct. Can you answer my questions?1) ##\langle\uparrow_z\mid\chi\rangle=c## then c squared is probability that the spin will be along z axis. Is it good ?Yes, it is correct.2) ##\overline{S_z}=\langle\chi\mid\ S_z\mid\chi\rangle ⇒ \overline{S_z}=\frac{\hbar}{2}## then ##P_+\frac{\hbar}{2}+(1-P_+)(-\frac{\hbar}{2})=\frac{\hbar}{2
Tegalad

Homework Statement

After beta- decay electron and antineutrino comes out, electron is moving along z axis and it is moving with velocity v. It's spinor is
## \mid\chi\rangle=A\left(\frac{\sqrt{1+\frac{v}{c}}\sin\frac{\theta}{2}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v}{c}}\cos\frac{\theta}{2}}\right) ## where A is normalization constant,## \theta ## an angle between z axis and ## \overline{\nu}## movement path (antineutrino's spin is in the same direction as it's movement path)
##\theta=\frac{\pi}{2}## and ##\frac{v}{c}=0,15##
1) Calculate the probability that measured electron's spin will be directed along z axis
2) Calculate the probability that measured electron's spin will be directed along z axis, if the angle of ## \overline{\nu}## trajectory can't be measured and electron's spin is registered by averaging all ## \theta ## angles

Homework Equations

By inserting all values and normalizing the function, spinor is ## \mid\chi\rangle=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\left(\begin{array}{c}\sqrt{0,85}\\ \sqrt{1,15}\end{array}\right)##
##\mid\uparrow_z\rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\begin{array}{c}1\\ 0\end{array}\right)##
##S_z= \frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\0 & -1 \end{bmatrix}##

The Attempt at a Solution

1) ##\langle\uparrow_z\mid\chi\rangle=c## then c squared is probability that the spin will be along z axis. Is it good ?
2) ##\overline{S_z}=\langle\chi\mid\ S_z\mid\chi\rangle ⇒ \overline{S_z}=\frac{\hbar}{2}## then ##P_+\frac{\hbar}{2}+(1-P_+)(-\frac{\hbar}{2})=\frac{\hbar}{2}\cos\theta## After that I calculate ##P_+##. Is this good or I am missing something? Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Tegalad said:
## \mid\chi\rangle=A\left(\frac{\sqrt{1+\frac{v}{c}}\sin\frac{\theta}{2}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v}{c}}\cos\frac{\theta}{2}}\right) ##
Tegalad said:
## \mid\chi\rangle=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\left(\begin{array}{c}\sqrt{0,85}\\ \sqrt{1,15}\end{array}\right)##
I guess that in the first equation, it is not fraction but two elements of a vector. In that case, are you sure that the second equation is correct?

Tegalad said:
##\mid\uparrow_z\rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\begin{array}{c}1\\ 0\end{array}\right)##
Is that a normalised state?

Tegalad said:
1) ##\langle\uparrow_z\mid\chi\rangle=c## then c squared is probability that the spin will be along z axis. Is it good ?
It should be ##|c|^2## (you have to account for the fact that ##c \in \mathbb{C}##).

Tegalad said:
2) ##\overline{S_z}=\langle\chi\mid\ S_z\mid\chi\rangle ⇒ \overline{S_z}=\frac{\hbar}{2}## then ##P_+\frac{\hbar}{2}+(1-P_+)(-\frac{\hbar}{2})=\frac{\hbar}{2}\cos\theta## After that I calculate ##P_+##. Is this good or I am missing something?
You are asked twice to calculate the probability that the measured electron's spin will be directed along the z axis. Why is your approach different in both cases?

DrClaude said:
I guess that in the first equation, it is not fraction but two elements of a vector. In that case, are you sure that the second equation is correct?
It shouldn't be a fraction and yes the second one is correct.

Is that a normalised state?
Yes, it is.

It should be ##|c|^2## (you have to account for the fact that ##c \in \mathbb{C}##).You are asked twice to calculate the probability that the measured electron's spin will be directed along the z axis. Why is your approach different in both cases?
Maybe I haven't made it clear enough, but in the first case angle theta is known and in the second one the spin is calculated by averaging all possible theta's
Thank you for your reply :)

Tegalad said:
Maybe I haven't made it clear enough, but in the first case angle theta is known and in the second one the spin is calculated by averaging all possible theta's
I had understood that. So, can you answer my questions?

DrClaude said:
I had understood that. So, can you answer my questions?
Now I see that I made a mistake, because I used a spinor with a given theta, so I would get the same result.

Tegalad said:
Now I see that I made a mistake, because I used a spinor with a given theta, so I would get the same result.
I don't understand what you mean, so I can't tell if your result will be correct.

What is electron spin probability?

Electron spin probability refers to the likelihood of an electron having a certain spin orientation. It is a quantum mechanical property that describes the angular momentum of an electron.

How is electron spin probability measured?

Electron spin probability is typically measured through experiments such as electron spin resonance or nuclear magnetic resonance. These techniques involve subjecting the electrons to a magnetic field and observing how they interact with it.

What factors affect electron spin probability?

The main factors that affect electron spin probability are the magnetic field strength and the energy level of the electron. The higher the magnetic field strength, the greater the influence on the electron's spin. The energy level of the electron also plays a role, as electrons in higher energy levels have a higher probability of having a certain spin orientation.

Why is electron spin probability important in chemistry?

Electron spin probability is important in chemistry because it helps to explain the behavior of atoms and molecules. The spin of electrons affects their interactions with other particles, which in turn influences the chemical properties and reactivity of substances.

Can electron spin probability be altered?

Yes, electron spin probability can be altered through the application of external magnetic fields or through interactions with other particles. This can result in changes in the electron's energy levels and spin orientation, which can have significant effects on the properties of a substance.