Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron Splitting?

1. Feb 23, 2010 #1

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

What happens when you split an electron? I heard that, if you took an electron ( say it had a charge of 1 ), and you split it (how would you do this, anyway?), would the two new electrons created (if that is what happens, if not what happens?) have charges of 1/2 and 1/2 respectively?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2010 #2
    You cannot split an electron. At least not according to the very well established quantum theory of electromagnetism and electrons. As far as current scientific knowledge, the electron is not divisible.

Torquil

4. Feb 23, 2010 #3
    An electron has no substructure. Unlike other composite system you cannot split it.

5. Feb 23, 2010 #4

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Ah okay, thanks. I was just reading some article that was theorizing about "holons and spinons" (never heard of those before) which were formed from splitting electrons. But the answers that you posted have convinced me otherwise. Thanks! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook