What is the Role of Magnetic Fields in Allowing Electron Transitions?

In summary: The incident EM plane wave will be multipoles after it enters the material. The electric field will be in the x, y, and z directions. The magnetic field will be in the positive x direction and the negative y direction.
dachikid
Hi All,

I'm a bit confused about electron transitions. I'm hoping someone will be willing to straighten me out. So the problem at hand states that a single ionized Helium atom has its single electron in the 5d shell. The z component of this electron's orbital angular momentum is [tex] \hbar [/tex] and its spin angular momentum is [tex] +\frac{1}{2}\hbar[/tex].

Now if the electron is initially in the ground state (i.e. 1s) what would be needed to get it to the 5d subshell?

So my initial thoughts are inclined to think that the electron must be given energy, possibly a photon. This energy would have a value of [tex] -E_0(\frac{1}{5^2} - \frac{1}{1^2})[/tex] where [tex] E_0=-13.6ev[/tex]

Because photons carry angular momentum, [tex]l[/tex] the orbital angular momentum of the electron must change in increments of [tex]\Delta l= \frac{+}{-}1[/tex] due in part to the "selection rule"

So a transition from a (1s) state [tex] \frac{n}{1} \frac{l}{0} \frac{m_l}{0} \frac{m_s}{\frac{+}{-}1}[/tex] to a (5d) state [tex] \frac{n}{5} \frac{l}{2} \frac{m_l}{1} \frac{m_s}{\frac{+}{-}1}[/tex] is not possible because [tex]\Delta l =2[/tex]

Now if I throw the atom in a magnetic field, the selection rule for [tex]\Delta m_l=0,\frac{+}{-}1[/tex] says the transition is allowed because [tex]\Delta m_l = +1 [/tex], I think :confused:

So just introducing a magnetic field allows a transition, which is not normally allowed, to be allowed?

thanks in advanced for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not try two photons?

dachikid said:
So a transition from a (1s) state [tex] \frac{n}{1} \frac{l}{0} \frac{m_l}{0} \frac{m_s}{\frac{+}{-}1}[/tex] to a (5d) state [tex] \frac{n}{5} \frac{l}{2} \frac{m_l}{1} \frac{m_s}{\frac{+}{-}1}[/tex] is not possible because [tex]\Delta l =2[/tex]
[tex]\Delta L=2[/tex] is possible for quadrupole absorption.
Expand the incident EM plane wave into multipoles.

1. What is an electron state transition?

An electron state transition refers to the movement of an electron from one energy level to another within an atom. This can occur through absorption or emission of energy, and is an essential process in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules.

2. What causes an electron state transition?

An electron state transition can be caused by a variety of factors, including absorption or emission of photons (light particles), collisions with other particles, or changes in the electric or magnetic field surrounding the atom. These interactions can cause electrons to gain or lose energy, leading to a change in their energy level.

3. How does electron state transition affect the properties of an atom?

The properties of an atom, such as its size, shape, and reactivity, are determined by the arrangement and energy levels of its electrons. Electron state transitions can change the energy levels of these electrons, which in turn can alter the properties of the atom. For example, when an electron absorbs energy and moves to a higher energy level, the atom may become more reactive.

4. Can electron state transition be observed?

Yes, electron state transitions can be observed and studied through various techniques such as spectroscopy. By analyzing the wavelengths of light absorbed or emitted during an electron state transition, scientists can gain valuable information about the energy levels and properties of atoms and molecules.

5. How is electron state transition relevant in technology?

Electron state transitions are essential in technology, particularly in the field of electronics. For example, transistors, which are crucial components in modern electronics, work by controlling the flow of electrons through a material, causing them to undergo state transitions and produce an electrical signal. Understanding and manipulating electron state transitions has also led to advancements in fields such as photonics and quantum computing.