Can a single atom be excited by a single photon in a vacuum tube?

In summary: The photon will hit the atom. The atom is located where the photon is emitted, so there's no way for the photon to miss it.
lucas_
I need electron transition detector that can respond to a dozen of photons.. so the atoms detector needs to be about just a dozen too.. I need something that can read it in an output.. what instruments is this? Geiger counter detects radiation by the click of the device.. I need something similar where the dozen atoms can click if it detect photons. I'll use it in a totally sealed dark room and an experiment. What device can I use? solar cells and bolometer won't do because they are based on electrons moving in the lattice and not from transition from excited to ground state.. what exact device or detectors (I can afford) that can detect transition from excited to ground state when it detect photons (need the sensitivity that is why I need one dozen or less atoms/photons)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you've provided enough details for us to help you. What exactly are you doing? What's your specific setup?

Drakkith said:
I don't think you've provided enough details for us to help you. What exactly are you doing? What's your specific setup?

I'd like to test an electron in a single hydrogen atom can get excited to high orbital and upon transition back to ground state would emit a photon. Just this simple. Can you detect a single atom or how many atoms are minimum for our instrument to make a detection (and what instrument is that)?

Drakkith said:
You won't be detecting the atom itself, but the photon it emits. Perhaps a photomultiplier?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photomultiplier

This works by photoelectric effect and secondary emission. I was referring to photons coming from the electron transition in an atom. Any instrument where you can detect the returned photons from a single or small numbers of atoms? Is there any spectroscopy that detects photons from these electron transitions and how many minimum atoms required?

I'm not sure what you want. All photon detectors rely on converting the energy deposited by a photon into an electric current or voltage. There's simply no other way to amplify the signal.

Drakkith said:
I'm not sure what you want. All photon detectors rely on converting the energy deposited by a photon into an electric current or voltage. There's simply no other way to amplify the signal.

In the photomultipier, the original photon hits an electron which goes to the photocathode, I'm looking for a photon that hits the electron in an atom which excites it to higher orbital and upon transition back to ground level emits a photon which goes to the photocathode.. is there no such thing? why?

That has nothing to do with the detector. The detector would function exactly the same in both cases. You'd need something to excite the atom in the first place. For that, I can't help you.

Drakkith said:
That has nothing to do with the detector. The detector would function exactly the same in both cases. You'd need something to excite the atom in the first place. For that, I can't help you.

For others. What would happen if you have a single atom in a vacuum tube and a single photon is emitted to it in a totally dark room. would the single photon hit the single atom electron anywhere or won't it? I'm imaging a wave being sent from the emitter and the wave can hit the atom located anywhere... and upon hitting it, the wave becomes a photon and interacts with the electrons. Is this why a single photon would always hit the single atom located anywhere?

1. What is an electron transition detector?

An electron transition detector is a scientific instrument used to detect and measure the energy levels of electrons in an atom. It works by emitting a beam of light or other electromagnetic radiation at a specific wavelength, which causes electrons in the atom to transition between energy levels. By measuring the frequency of the emitted light, scientists can determine the energy levels of the electrons in the atom.

2. How does an electron transition detector work?

An electron transition detector works by using a source of electromagnetic radiation, such as a laser or a lamp, to emit light at a specific wavelength. This light is directed at a sample of atoms, causing the electrons in the atoms to transition between energy levels. The frequency of the emitted light is then measured, which can be used to calculate the energy levels of the electrons in the sample.

3. What are the applications of electron transition detectors?

Electron transition detectors have a wide range of applications in various scientific fields. They are commonly used in chemistry to study the properties of atoms and molecules, and in physics to study the energy levels of electrons in different materials. They are also used in medical imaging techniques, such as X-ray fluorescence, to analyze the composition of biological samples.

4. What are the advantages of using an electron transition detector?

An electron transition detector offers several advantages in scientific research. It allows for precise measurement of energy levels, which can provide valuable insights into the properties of atoms and molecules. It is also a non-invasive technique, meaning it does not damage the sample being studied. Additionally, electron transition detectors are highly sensitive and can detect even small changes in energy levels.

5. Are there any limitations to using an electron transition detector?

While electron transition detectors have many advantages, there are also some limitations to consider. One major limitation is that they require a sample to be in a gaseous state, as the atoms need to be able to move freely for the electron transitions to occur. This means that they may not be suitable for studying solid materials. Additionally, electron transition detectors can be expensive and require specialized training to operate, making them less accessible to some researchers.