Electron Transition: Why Doesn't Excited Electron Absorb Extra Photon?

In summary, an excited electron can absorb multiple photons and this has been demonstrated in experiments. It is not a new concept.
alamdar
please tell me that why is it that an excited electron don't absorbs an extra photon before coming to ground state.

Physics news on Phys.org
alamdar said:
please tell me that why is it that an excited electron don't absorbs an extra photon before coming to ground state.

What makes you think that it doesn't?

Zz.

okkkkkkkay i got the idea so excited electron can absorb more energy.

alamdar said:
okkkkkkkay i got the idea so excited electron can absorb more energy.

You are making very little sense here.

Multiphoton absorption is certainly possible and has been shown experimentally[1]. This is not new.

Zz.

[1] G. Mainfray and G. Manus et al 1991 Rep. Prog. Phys. v.54, p.1333 (1991).

okay thanx:smile:

1. What is electron transition?

Electron transition is the process in which an electron in an atom or molecule moves from one energy level to another, either by absorbing or emitting energy.

2. What is an excited electron?

An excited electron is an electron that has absorbed energy and moved to a higher energy level. This can happen through various processes, such as absorption of light or collisions with other particles.

3. Why doesn't an excited electron absorb an extra photon?

Because an excited electron is already at a higher energy level, it does not have the ability to absorb an additional photon. The energy of the photon must match the energy difference between the electron's current energy level and the next available energy level for absorption to occur.

4. What happens if an excited electron does absorb an extra photon?

If an excited electron somehow manages to absorb an extra photon, it will move to an even higher energy level. However, this state is usually unstable and the electron will quickly return to its original energy level by emitting a photon of equal energy.

5. Can electron transitions be observed?

Yes, electron transitions can be observed through various techniques such as spectroscopy. By measuring the energy of the emitted or absorbed photons, we can determine the energy levels of the electrons and gain insight into the structure and properties of atoms and molecules.