• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Electron traveling between charged plates

• Thread starter jisbon
  • Start date

Delta2

Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
First of all I don't understand why you calculate ##v_y## you are not asked for that (you are not asked for the magnitude of the vertical component at exit or the magnitude of the velocity at exit), you are asked only to calculate ##v_x##, that is the horizontal velocity with which the electron enters the electric field.

Other than that @TSny was just ahead of me in time :D.

Explain how you got the value of 0.5 on the left side. What does this number represent and what are its units?
50cm = 0.5m

Delta2

Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
50cm = 0.5m
But this equation you wrote ##0.5=\frac{1}{2}a_yt^2##is for the vertical motion. 0.5m is the length of the plates not the spacing between the plates which is 1cm. Shouldn it be ##\frac{1}{2}cm=\frac{0.01}{2}m=0.005m=\frac{1}{2}a_yt^2##??

Last edited:
But this equation you wrote ##0.5=\frac{1}{2}a_yt^2##is for the vertical motion. 0.5m is the length of the plates not the spacing between the plates which is 1cm. Shouldn it be ##\frac{1}{2}cm=\frac{0.01}{2}m=0.005m=\frac{1}{2}a_yt^2##??
Oh gosh. Yep I realize my mistake. Kept messing up between the length and width :H