Analyzing an Electron's Velocity Vector Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an electron's position, velocity, magnitude, and angle at a specific time. The problem is solved using unit-vector notation and the dot product formula. The expert provides guidance on finding the magnitude and angle of the velocity vector.
0aNoMaLi7
One part of this problem has me confused...id appreciate any guidance. I have part (a) and (b) but (c) and (d) are TOTALLY losing me. i don't even know where to begin. THANKS :smile:

"An electron's position is given by r=3.00t i - 5.00t^2 j + 3.00 k, with t in seconds and r in meters"

(a) In unit-vector notation, what is the electron's velocity v(t)?
My answer: 3.00 i - 10.0t j+ 0.00 k

(b) What is v in unit-vector notation at t=6.00s?
My answer: 3.00 i - 60.0 j+ 0.00 k

(c) What is the magnitude of v at t = 6.00 s? :eek:

(d) What angle does v make with the positive direction of the x-axis at t = 6.00 s? :eek:

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
To find the magnitude of a vector just square each component, add them up and find the square root.

You can find the angle between two vectors using the "dot product:"

[tex]\vec A \cdot \vec B = A B \cos \phi[/tex]

where A and B are the magnitudes of the vectors and [itex]\phi[/itex] is the angle between them.

thanks... solved it :-)

1. What is the Electron-Vector Problem?

The Electron-Vector Problem is a concept in physics that refers to the difficulty in predicting the exact position and momentum of an electron at the same time. This is due to the dual nature of electrons as both particles and waves.

2. Why is the Electron-Vector Problem important?

The Electron-Vector Problem is important because it challenges our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and highlights the limitations of classical mechanics. It also has practical implications in fields such as quantum computing and nanotechnology.

3. How is the Electron-Vector Problem solved?

The Electron-Vector Problem is solved using quantum mechanics, which provides a probabilistic approach to predicting the behavior of electrons. This involves using mathematical equations and principles to calculate the probability of an electron being in a certain location or having a certain momentum.

4. Can the Electron-Vector Problem be fully solved?

No, the Electron-Vector Problem cannot be fully solved due to the inherent uncertainty in the behavior of electrons. This is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics known as the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.

5. How does the Electron-Vector Problem relate to other quantum phenomena?

The Electron-Vector Problem is just one example of the many quantum phenomena that challenge our understanding of the physical world. Other examples include superposition, entanglement, and tunneling. These phenomena all stem from the dual nature of particles and waves at the quantum level.