Electron Velocity Homework: Fnd Force to Determine Speed

In summary, the problem involves an electron gun emitting electrons with an applied voltage of 3000 volts. The electrons then enter a region of constant magnetic field (B=0.025 Tesla) that is perpendicular to the velocity of the beam. The equations used are W=Q(Delta V) = F*d, V=F/eB, and F=veB=ma. The goal is to find the velocity and acceleration of the electrons in the magnetic field, as well as the distance between the entry and exit points of the field. The key calculation involves using the Lorentz force to find the speed of the electron, which is then used to find the radius of the circular path. This problem does not involve an electric field, and
jnbfive

Homework Statement

An electron gun (applied voltage of 3000 volts) is emitting electrons. THe electrons enter a region of constant magnetic field (B=.025 Tesla.) The magnetic field is perpendicular to the velocity of the beam.

Homework Equations

W=Q(Delta V) = F*d

V=F/eB

The Attempt at a Solution

-1.6X10^-19 C (3000 (N*m/C)) = F*d
-4.8 x 10^-16 = F*d

I'm lost as to how to eliminate d. I'm almost positive it doesn't drop out due to the dot product, but I need to get rid of it to find F and no distance between the gun and the field is given. There's two more parts to this problem that I know how to do, my problem is I need the velocity for both those parts. So if I can be nudged in the proper direction of how to eliminate d so I can find force, that'd be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
jnbfive said:

Homework Statement

An electron gun (applied voltage of 3000 volts) is emitting electrons. THe electrons enter a region of constant magnetic field (B=.025 Tesla.) The magnetic field is perpendicular to the velocity of the beam.

Homework Equations

W=Q(Delta V) = F*d

V=F/eB

The Attempt at a Solution

-1.6X10^-19 C (3000 (N*m/C)) = F*d
-4.8 x 10^-16 = F*d

I'm lost as to how to eliminate d. I'm almost positive it doesn't drop out due to the dot product, but I need to get rid of it to find F and no distance between the gun and the field is given. There's two more parts to this problem that I know how to do, my problem is I need the velocity for both those parts. So if I can be nudged in the proper direction of how to eliminate d so I can find force, that'd be great.

What are you asked to find? The radius of the circular path? Write the equation for the Lorentz force (which you have in your work above), and relate that to the centripital acceleration of uniform circular motion.

I need to find the force. Once I find that everything else isn't difficult.

Part I)
Find the speed of the electron:
v=F/(eB)
W=q(Delta V) = F*d, where W is -4.8*10^-16 N*m

Part II)
Find the distance between the been entering and exiting the field.
r=mv/(eB) where r is the radius so the distance is 2r

Part III)
Obtain the acceleration of the electrons in the magnetic field
F=veB=ma

Like I said, I'm having difficulty finding out how to eliminate distance in W=F*d since no distance is given.

jnbfive said:
I need to find the force. Once I find that everything else isn't difficult.

Part I)
Find the speed of the electron:
v=F/(eB)
W=q(Delta V) = F*d, where W is -4.8*10^-16 N*m

Part II)
Find the distance between the been entering and exiting the field.
r=mv/(eB) where r is the radius so the distance is 2r

Part III)
Obtain the acceleration of the electrons in the magnetic field
F=veB=ma

Like I said, I'm having difficulty finding out how to eliminate distance in W=F*d since no distance is given.

The speed is derived from the electron energy. All of the energy is kinetic energy. You don't need force * distance.

-4.8*10^-16 = .5*(9.109*10^-31)*(v^2)

So v = 3.246 * 10^7 m/s?

jnbfive said:
-4.8*10^-16 = .5*(9.109*10^-31)*(v^2)

So v = 3.246 * 10^7 m/s?

From google:

1 electron volt = 1.60217646 × 10-19 joules

What is on the lefthand side (LHS) of your first equation? Is that supposed to be 3keV converted to Joules? It helps in calculations like these to show units for each quantity, to be sure that you are doing the unit conversions correctly, and ending up with compatible units.

Last edited:
W=q(Delta V) = Change in kinetic energy, which is (-1.6*10^-19 C)(3000V) = -4.8*10^-16 N*m

-4.8*10^-16 N*m = .5*(9.109*10^-31 kg)*(v^2)

Since a Newton is kg*m/s^2, the kg's cancel and I am left with m^2/s^2

Sorry for the confusion.

jnbfive said:
W=q(Delta V) = Change in kinetic energy, which is (-1.6*10^-19 C)(3000V) = -4.8*10^-16 N*m

-4.8*10^-16 N*m = .5*(9.109*10^-31 kg)*(v^2)

Since a Newton is kg*m/s^2, the kg's cancel and I am left with m^2/s^2

Sorry for the confusion.

Okay, that looks right then. The answer you got for the electron velocity is about 1/10 of c, which sounds about right for a 3keV beam. So does the rest of the question ask you to figure out the radius of the circular motion of the electrons based on the Lorentz force?

For Part I, you wrote:

v=F/(eB)

Where did that come from? If you're trying to find out how much velocity the electric field added, the magnetic field doesn't matter; it can't affect the answer in any way.

ideasrule said:
For Part I, you wrote:

v=F/(eB)

Where did that come from? If you're trying to find out how much velocity the electric field added, the magnetic field doesn't matter; it can't affect the answer in any way.

It came from the Lorentz force. The OP isn't confused about some electric field. The e in that equation is the charge on an electron.

berkeman said:
It came from the Lorentz force. The OP isn't confused about some electric field. The e in that equation is the charge on an electron.

The equation is valid, but the OP (apparently that term isn't unique to Wikipedia) was trying to find the electron's speed in Part I. The magnetic force has nothing to do with finding the speed, which depends solely on the kinetic energy added to the electron.

ideasrule said:
The equation is valid, but the OP (apparently that term isn't unique to Wikipedia) was trying to find the electron's speed in Part I. The magnetic force has nothing to do with finding the speed, which depends solely on the kinetic energy added to the electron.

That's why s/he correctly converted the 3keV energy to a velocity. Where is the electric field term that you allude to?

The electric field is the field that applied the 3000V potential difference. The OP did indeed convert 3 keV to velocity correctly, without using v=F/eB; that's why I said v=F/eB is not relevant here.

1. What is electron velocity?

Electron velocity refers to the speed at which an electron moves through a conductive material or in an electric field. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

2. How is the force to determine speed of an electron calculated?

The force on an electron can be calculated using the formula F = ma, where F is the force in newtons, m is the mass of the electron in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared. Once the force is determined, the speed can be calculated using the formula v = √(2Fd/m), where v is the speed in meters per second, F is the force, d is the distance traveled by the electron, and m is the mass of the electron.

3. What is the relationship between force and speed of an electron?

The force on an electron is directly proportional to its speed. This means that as the force increases, the speed of the electron also increases. However, the mass of the electron and the distance it travels also play a role in determining its speed.

4. How does the electric field affect the velocity of an electron?

An electric field can either accelerate or decelerate an electron, depending on its direction. If the electron is moving in the same direction as the electric field, it will accelerate and its velocity will increase. If the electron is moving in the opposite direction of the electric field, it will decelerate and its velocity will decrease.

5. What is the significance of calculating electron velocity in scientific research?

Calculating electron velocity is crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of electricity, which is essential in many scientific fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It also helps in the development of new technologies and materials that rely on the movement of electrons, such as semiconductors and electronic devices.