1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron velocity

1. Sep 28, 2005 #1
    hello. I am stuck on a problem and I would like some help. I want to know how to determine the speed of an electron in a magnetic field. I thought the equation was v=E/B. where E is the electric field of an electron and B is the magnetic field. I have a magnetic field of .000232496073 teslas. But I can't figure out the speed in meters a second.
    I would also like to know how fast the electron accelerates and an equation to determine that.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2005 #2

mukundpa

Homework Helper

Please give the complete reference. Otherwise, the speed of a charge particle in a magnetic field remains constant.

4. Sep 30, 2005 #3
    I would like to know an equation for velocity of a charged particle in a magnetic field and the value of electric field of electron. When I did the equation I ended up with 5.023 x 10^-8. Do you put that as a percentage of the speed of light. I'm just not sure on the math part of it.

5. Sep 30, 2005 #4

mukundpa

Homework Helper

Write the complete question

6. Oct 1, 2005 #5
    What is the equation to find the velocity of a charged particle in a magnetic field?

7. Oct 2, 2005 #6

mukundpa

Homework Helper

Sorry, I am not able to understand your question.

A charged particle may move in a magnetic field with any velocity, the magnitude of the velocity remains constant equal to that with which it is projected in the field.

The direction remains same if initial direction in that of the field. If the initial direction of motion is not parallel to the field it will move on a circular path of a helical path. In any case the speed remains the same.

Now which equation do you want?????

8. Oct 2, 2005 #7
    I'm sorry.
    The equation is if the electron is moving into the magnetic field. Not passing through a magnetic field, or perpendicular to the to the field. So if it's moving towards the magnet, and on the opposite side it is being repelled by another magnet.
    I apologise if I'm not being too specific. I don't know how to describe any other way.

9. Oct 4, 2005 #8
    To make it more clear. I need the equation for an electron moving parallel to the magnetic field or in the same direction of the field.

10. Oct 4, 2005 #9
    there is no equation. if the electron is moving parallel to the field, the field doesnt do anything to it

11. Oct 4, 2005 #10
    what mukundpa was asking was for the exact problem that you had(I'm assuming it's from a homework assignment/such?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?