Calculating Electron Velocity in a Magnetic Field

In summary, Mukundpa was asking for an equation to find the velocity of a charged particle moving parallel to a magnetic field. There is no equation for this.
Idea04
hello. I am stuck on a problem and I would like some help. I want to know how to determine the speed of an electron in a magnetic field. I thought the equation was v=E/B. where E is the electric field of an electron and B is the magnetic field. I have a magnetic field of .000232496073 teslas. But I can't figure out the speed in meters a second.
I would also like to know how fast the electron accelerates and an equation to determine that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please give the complete reference. Otherwise, the speed of a charge particle in a magnetic field remains constant.

I would like to know an equation for velocity of a charged particle in a magnetic field and the value of electric field of electron. When I did the equation I ended up with 5.023 x 10^-8. Do you put that as a percentage of the speed of light. I'm just not sure on the math part of it.

Write the complete question

What is the equation to find the velocity of a charged particle in a magnetic field?

Sorry, I am not able to understand your question.

A charged particle may move in a magnetic field with any velocity, the magnitude of the velocity remains constant equal to that with which it is projected in the field.

The direction remains same if initial direction in that of the field. If the initial direction of motion is not parallel to the field it will move on a circular path of a helical path. In any case the speed remains the same.

Now which equation do you want?

I'm sorry.
The equation is if the electron is moving into the magnetic field. Not passing through a magnetic field, or perpendicular to the to the field. So if it's moving towards the magnet, and on the opposite side it is being repelled by another magnet.
I apologise if I'm not being too specific. I don't know how to describe any other way.

To make it more clear. I need the equation for an electron moving parallel to the magnetic field or in the same direction of the field.

there is no equation. if the electron is moving parallel to the field, the field doesn't do anything to it

what mukundpa was asking was for the exact problem that you had(I'm assuming it's from a homework assignment/such?)

What is the formula for calculating electron velocity in a magnetic field?

The formula is v = (E/B), where v is the electron velocity in meters per second, E is the electric field strength in volts per meter, and B is the magnetic field strength in teslas.

What is the unit of measurement for electron velocity?

The unit of measurement for electron velocity is meters per second (m/s).

How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the electron velocity?

The direction of the magnetic field affects the electron velocity by causing the electron to move in a circular path perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic field. The radius of this circle is determined by the strength of the magnetic field and the speed of the electron.

What is the relationship between electron velocity and the strength of the magnetic field?

Electron velocity is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. This means that as the strength of the magnetic field increases, the electron velocity will also increase. Similarly, as the strength of the magnetic field decreases, the electron velocity will decrease.

How can the calculated electron velocity be used in practical applications?

The calculated electron velocity can be used in various practical applications, such as particle accelerators, cathode ray tubes, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. It is also an important concept in understanding the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field, which has many applications in fields such as astrophysics and plasma physics.