Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron volts to voltage

1. Oct 31, 2008 #1
    In semiconductors it is known that the wider the band-gap the higher the output voltage, what is the theory behind this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2008 #2
    Band gap is a voltage. "Electron volts" is a measure of energy. Nobody knows what you're asking.

4. Nov 3, 2008 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Based on vw's one other PF post so far, I'm guessing he's asking about solar cell output. vw, is that correct? Can you tell us what references you have been reading about solar cell solid state physics?

5. Nov 5, 2008 #4
    Voltage Through a PN junction with a 1.1 ev bandgap

Hi,

I have been looking at various sources including searching the internet, bu the main textbooks i have are:

1) Markvart, T. 'Solar Electricity' 2000. Southampton
    2) Goswami, Kreith, Kreider. ' Principles of Solar Energy'. 2001. Florida

I think I have the answer now, which is, based on V=E/q

as each electron has 1.6 x 10xy(-19) joules, then simply multiplying this by coulomb and by the internal p.d. of the pn junction (1.1ev in extrinsic silison) then obviously the max voltage this can produce is 1.1v restricted by the bandgap.

This leads me onto another problem:

WHEN THE CELL IS CONNECTED TO A CIRCUIT AND THERE IS A LOAD CAUSING RESISTANCE, WHICH INCREASES VOLTAGE. WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THIS VOLTAGE GOES THROUGH A PN JUNCTION OF 1.1eV??

thanks

6. Nov 12, 2008 #5
    I put my contribution in an other discussion. Hope it helps for this one as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?