Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electronegativity doubt

1. Dec 22, 2011 #1
    i wanted to ask this….
    1. if an atom forms a bond with some atom of different element,say
    C-O ,then since O attracts elec more ,can we say tht it now it has less electronegativity compared to only O???
    2. in a tertiary carbon why do electrons get pushed towards the central C,is it because of the presence of some other group,say OH or +ve charge(carbocation) or would it still occur if they were not attached…??(cud it be bcoz of the slight electronegativity difference between C and H??)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2011 #2
    someone plz help!!!!

4. Dec 25, 2011 #3
    I don't know if I've interpreted your question correctly but,

1. yes, C has less electronegativity than oxygen. Remember, the electronegativity trend increases as you go up and to the right of the perioid table..so an arrow towards fluorine.
    ch3
    2. Tertiary carbon, ch3-c-ch3, wouldn't this molecule be nonpolar?
    ch3

since there isn't really an electronegativity difference big enough..why would the electron density be pulled by the central carbon??

5. Dec 25, 2011 #4
    Isn't it C which attracts more electrons in C-O ?

6. Dec 25, 2011 #5
    No, oxygen attracts more electron density...it's more electronegative than C

7. Dec 27, 2011 #6
    absolutly right as dipole of oxygen more than carbon!!!!

8. Jan 3, 2012 #7
    thanks all of you......i think one mistake i was making was you cant really tell the electronegativity in an element .....it happens in a bonded molecule ....(in my 1st question!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook