Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electronic charge ?

1. Jul 7, 2009 #1
    Tell me what makes electron have a charge , what is that property of electron due to which there is attraction /repulsion between two electrons ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2009 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The simplest answer to your questions is: that is the way things are. Electrons have charge and like charges repel.

4. Jul 8, 2009 #3
    I'm no expert on this, but according to quantum electrodynamics, two charged objects attract or repel because they exchange virtual photons. It's like they're hitting baseballs back and forth, which makes them repel each other (or attract).

5. Jul 8, 2009 #4
    i knw this but what is the fundamental reason for this to happen ., from where did the charge came, was it present befor big bang , did it get created when big bang happened , I am stuck ,.lol...

6. Jul 8, 2009 #5
    It's the origin question... I think I read in Feynman's lectures once that what sets physics apart was the fact that it doesn't have an origin question, or rather, that it is unsolvable. It's one of the most important questions we can pose, but the problem is, right now it is unsolvable. At the Big Bang, for example, all our science breaks down, so we can't make any predictions about what was before the Big Bang. If our mass and our charge came from somewhere before the Big Bang, then right now we cannot say where the mass and charge came from!

I wonder if we'll ever get to know.

7. Jul 8, 2009 #6

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As a result of the big bang lots of photons were created. Photon interactions led to the production of various fundamental particles (quarks and leptons). Why this particular set of particles is one of the great unknowns.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook