1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electronic Configuration of Fe+

1. Nov 24, 2011 #1

AGNuke

Gold Member

Previously I had been asked the configuration for Fe+ as an ordinary question from Periodic Table. I know Fe2+ and Fe3+ but I have no idea for Fe+

I know the configuration of Fe : [Ar]4s23d6

So I accordingly wrote Fe+ as [Ar]4s13d6

But they say that Fe+ is [Ar]4s03d7

I just want to confirm that is this electronic configuration correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2011 #2
    Yes what they say is correct thats because in a chemical enviroment the d orbital is lower in energy than the s so is filled before the s orbital( I'm not sure if you would have been taught this yet, i got taught it first year undergrad).

4. Nov 25, 2011 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It doesn't want to be that easy. Blindly using this rule you will get d8s0 instead of d6s2 for the ground state of Fe(0), so it is obviously wrong in general.

Unfortunately I don't know answer to the original question, other then "because that's the way it is" (assuming that's the way it is). When it comes to configurations there are rules of thumb that work in most cases, and there are exact calculations/measurements that sometimes falsify the rules. Once you know rule of thumb fails for a particular case you can make any kind of handwawy argument like "in this case low spin/high spin configuration is energetically favored", but IMHO it doesn't give you any more reliable tool to predict the configurations in other cases.

5. Nov 25, 2011 #4
    I meant for ions , for isolated species(with no formal charge) then it does obey the normal rule

6. Nov 25, 2011 #5

AGNuke

Gold Member

OK... This is the tricky one, but solved! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook