Electronic Configuration of Fe+

In summary, the conversation is about the electronic configuration of Fe+ and the confusion surrounding it. The expert explains that in a chemical environment, the d orbital is lower in energy and is filled before the s orbital. However, blindly using this rule may result in an incorrect configuration for Fe(0). The expert also mentions that there are rules of thumb for configurations, but exact calculations and measurements can sometimes falsify them. Finally, the expert clarifies that for isolated species without a formal charge, the normal rule is followed.
AGNuke
Gold Member
Previously I had been asked the configuration for Fe+ as an ordinary question from Periodic Table. I know Fe2+ and Fe3+ but I have no idea for Fe+

I know the configuration of Fe : [Ar]4s23d6

So I accordingly wrote Fe+ as [Ar]4s13d6

But they say that Fe+ is [Ar]4s03d7

I just want to confirm that is this electronic configuration correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
AGNuke said:
Previously I had been asked the configuration for Fe+ as an ordinary question from Periodic Table. I know Fe2+ and Fe3+ but I have no idea for Fe+

I know the configuration of Fe : [Ar]4s23d6

So I accordingly wrote Fe+ as [Ar]4s13d6

But they say that Fe+ is [Ar]4s03d7

I just want to confirm that is this electronic configuration correct?

Yes what they say is correct that's because in a chemical environment the d orbital is lower in energy than the s so is filled before the s orbital( I'm not sure if you would have been taught this yet, i got taught it first year undergrad).

baldywaldy said:
Yes what they say is correct that's because in a chemical environment the d orbital is lower in energy than the s so is filled before the s orbital( I'm not sure if you would have been taught this yet, i got taught it first year undergrad).

It doesn't want to be that easy. Blindly using this rule you will get d8s0 instead of d6s2 for the ground state of Fe(0), so it is obviously wrong in general.

Unfortunately I don't know answer to the original question, other then "because that's the way it is" (assuming that's the way it is). When it comes to configurations there are rules of thumb that work in most cases, and there are exact calculations/measurements that sometimes falsify the rules. Once you know rule of thumb fails for a particular case you can make any kind of handwawy argument like "in this case low spin/high spin configuration is energetically favored", but IMHO it doesn't give you any more reliable tool to predict the configurations in other cases.

Borek said:
It doesn't want to be that easy. Blindly using this rule you will get d8s0 instead of d6s2 for the ground state of Fe(0), so it is obviously wrong in general.

Unfortunately I don't know answer to the original question, other then "because that's the way it is" (assuming that's the way it is). When it comes to configurations there are rules of thumb that work in most cases, and there are exact calculations/measurements that sometimes falsify the rules. Once you know rule of thumb fails for a particular case you can make any kind of handwawy argument like "in this case low spin/high spin configuration is energetically favored", but IMHO it doesn't give you any more reliable tool to predict the configurations in other cases.

I meant for ions , for isolated species(with no formal charge) then it does obey the normal rule

OK... This is the tricky one, but solved! :smile:

1. What is the electronic configuration of Fe+?

The electronic configuration of Fe+ is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d6.

2. How many electrons are in the outermost shell of Fe+?

There are 2 electrons in the outermost shell of Fe+.

3. What is the valence electron configuration of Fe+?

The valence electron configuration of Fe+ is 3d6.

4. How does the electronic configuration of Fe+ differ from that of Fe?

The electronic configuration of Fe+ differs from that of Fe by having one less electron in the 4s orbital. Fe+ has a full 3d orbital, while Fe has one electron in the 4s orbital.

5. Why does Fe+ have a positive charge?

Fe+ has a positive charge because it has lost one electron from its neutral state, resulting in an overall positive charge. This loss of an electron is known as oxidation.