Checking Solutions to Electronic Questions Before Exam

In summary: Great! The video will explain it all in detail for you. Good luck on your exam! In summary, the conversation discusses using a diode as a switch instead of a transistor, designing an op amp to amplify a DC signal, using electronic switches to create a rectangular wave shape, and differences between response curves and voltage/power amplifiers. The speaker suggests using an astable multivibrator for the rectangular wave and mentions the use of op amps in power amplifiers. The conversation also touches on the concept of DC amplification and the shape of the output of an op amp.
physicist 12345
Misplaced homework moved from technical forum, hence the Homework Template is missing.
at firs i apologize if this is not the place for this but really i have exam after few hours and i need chech my solutions .
i have some essay questions and i want to check my ideas

1) can we use the diode as switch instead of transistor ??
2)design an op amp to amplify the dc signal
3)how to use two electronic switches to get ((rectangular)) wave shape
4) define 3 differences between
(responce curve of op amp and voltage amp)
(power amp and volt amp and op amp)

my ideas for solution
1) no because diode make no amplification
2) i will use the op amp usually as it direct connected in its stages
3) i suggest using astable multivibrartor
4) no attempt solution

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Yes and no, generally no
2) Hmmm.. Scale yea, so technically I have to say yes. Example 0-1V signal scaled to 0-10V etc.
3) What? switch on - switch off =Rectangular wave.

4) Not enough info to even guess

Likes physicist 12345
physicist 12345 said:
at firs i apologize if this is not the place for this but really i have exam after few hours and i need chech my solutions .
i have some essay questions and i want to check my ideas

1) can we use the diode as switch instead of transistor ??
2)design an op amp to amplify the dc signal
3)how to use two electronic switches to get ((rectangular)) wave shape
4) define 3 differences between
(responce curve of op amp and voltage amp)
(power amp and volt amp and op amp)

my ideas for solution
1) no because diode make no amplification
2) i will use the op amp usually as it direct connected in its stages
3) i suggest using astable multivibrartor
4) no attempt solution

1. You don't need amplification to make a switch. The switches in a digital logic circuit don't amplify. The big problem with using a diode as a switch is you have to deal with the DC level shift (the diode drop, about 0.65V or so in silicon). MOS switches have no DC drop and are preferred. Diode switches are still used in very high speed sampling circuits since they can be faster than other techniques.

2. You mean design a circuit *using* op amps to amplify a DC signal? That was their initial application so yeah, they can be used for that.

3. Windadct is right.

4. An op amp is just a differential voltage amplifier with extremely high gain, high input resistance, and low output resistance so what are you asking? Some people use op amps to make power amps but the issue is *power* gain, not voltage gain. The simplest and easiest to under stand is an Emitter Follower (look it up). By lowering the impedance while keeping the voltage (roughly) the same, power gain is realized.

Likes physicist 12345
Windadct said:
1) Yes and no, generally no
2) Hmmm.. Scale yea, so technically I have to say yes. Example 0-1V signal scaled to 0-10V etc.
3) What? switch on - switch off =Rectangular wave.

4) Not enough info to even guess

thank you
question 4 gust generally no specific cases

analogdesign said:
1. You don't need amplification to make a switch. The switches in a digital logic circuit don't amplify. The big problem with using a diode as a switch is you have to deal with the DC level shift (the diode drop, about 0.65V or so in silicon). MOS switches have no DC drop and are preferred. Diode switches are still used in very high speed sampling circuits since they can be faster than other techniques.

2. You mean design a circuit *using* op amps to amplify a DC signal? That was their initial application so yeah, they can be used for that.

3. Windadct is right.

4. An op amp is just a differential voltage amplifier with extremely high gain, high input resistance, and low output resistance so what are you asking? Some people use op amps to make power amps but the issue is *power* gain, not voltage gain. The simplest and easiest to under stand is an Emitter Follower (look it up). By lowering the impedance while keeping the voltage (roughly) the same, power gain is realized.
thank you very much but could you tell me how op amp could amplify dc ?

physicist 12345 said:
could you tell me how would the shape of output will be ?

you said it is DC ... so what shape do you think it will have ?

physicist 12345 said:
also there is no difference between this circuit and that which raise the level at ac ?

not sure what you mean ?

it would seem you haven't watched the video yet ... do so and then come back with specific unanswered Q's
you really shouldn't have any ... Dave explains op-amps very well :smile:Dave

davenn said:
you said it is DC ... so what shape do you think it will have ?
not sure what you mean ?

it would seem you haven't watched the video yet ... do so and then come back with specific unanswered Q's
you really shouldn't have any ... Dave explains op-amps very well :smile:Dave
iam sorry

physicist 12345 said:
iam sorry

it's OK :smile:

so if DC is going in, what do you think is on the output of an Op-amp and what "shape" is that ?

davenn said:
it's OK :smile:

so if DC is going in, what do you think is on the output of an Op-amp and what "shape" is that ?

its also dc .. i was asking how the level rise (amplified sinusoidal take not change their reference )
now watching the video :)

physicist 12345 said:
its also dc ..

yes ... so a flat line :smile:

physicist 12345 said:
i was asking how the level rise (amplified sinusoidal take not change their reference )

an op-amp can be used in inverting or non inverting mode that will affect the positive and negative going half cycles compared to the input
... they will be the same ... non-inverting ... opposite if inverting

davenn said:
yes ... so a flat line :smile:
an op-amp can be used in inverting or non inverting mode that will affect the positive and negative going half cycles compared to the input
... they will be the same ... non-inverting ... opposite if inverting

then now i understood that ordinary op amp could amplify dc .. put as it go out flat (a t the same reference) how it then be said that they amplified
please also if you have a comment on question 4 i will be happy

physicist 12345 said:
please also if you have a comment on question 4 i will be happy

firstly, I can't comment on that ... go with analogdesign's comments until get something better :smile:

physicist 12345 said:
then now i understood that ordinary op amp could amplify dc .. put as it go out flat (a t the same reference) how it then be said that they amplified

The first thing you need to learn/understand and many others also have this misconception ... that transistors / IC's amplify ... they don't

What they actually do is to use the flow of small currents to control the flow of larger currents ... this gives the appearance of amplifying a current / voltage
They are all just called amplifiers for sake of easy explanation ... do some reading up of transistor functions / theory

OK from minute 13:00 in the video, Dave starts to describe how it works as a practical amplifier and how the gain is calculated
The process is the same for DC or ACDave

davenn said:
firstly, I can't comment on that ... go with analogdesign's comments until get something better :smile:

The first thing you need to learn/understand and many others also have this misconception ... that transistors / IC's amplify ... they don't

What they actually do is to use the flow of small currents to control the flow of larger currents ... this gives the appearance of amplifying a current / voltage
They are all just called amplifiers for sake of easy explanation ... do some reading up of transistor functions / theory

Dave

Far be it from me to start an argument about semantics, but based on your definition amplification at all is impossible as it would contradict the second law of thermodynamics.

While of course an amplifier puts out less energy than it gets in, and you're most certainly correct about the small current controlling the flow of larger currents (for bipolar transistors, at least), I think most engineers would agree that the *signal* is certain amplified in a transistor. Do you disagree?

What is the purpose of checking solutions to electronic questions before an exam?

The purpose of checking solutions to electronic questions before an exam is to ensure that all answers are accurate and that there are no mistakes. It also helps to identify areas where further review or study may be needed.

How can I check solutions to electronic questions before an exam?

There are several ways to check solutions to electronic questions before an exam. One way is to use online resources such as answer keys or practice exams. Another way is to work with a study group or tutor to review and discuss the solutions together.

Why is it important to check solutions to electronic questions before an exam?

Checking solutions to electronic questions before an exam is important because it allows for a better understanding of the material and helps to identify any areas of weakness. It also helps to build confidence and reduce test anxiety.

When should I check solutions to electronic questions before an exam?

It is recommended to check solutions to electronic questions before an exam at least a few days in advance. This allows for enough time to review any areas of weakness and to seek help if needed.

What should I do if I find mistakes in the solutions to electronic questions?

If you find mistakes in the solutions to electronic questions, it is important to bring it to the attention of the teacher or instructor. This will not only help you to get the correct answer, but it could also benefit other students who may have the same question.