The Mystery of Electronic Fuel Injectors - How Do They Work?

In summary, the two wires installed in an electronic fuel injector are the voltage (vcc) wire and the ground wire. When the injector is installed, the voltage wire is connected to the positive terminal of the lamp and the ground wire is connected to the negative terminal of the lamp. The lamp turns on when the voltage wire and the ground wire are connected in the opposite way.
machinest
hello everybody
my ques about the fuel injector,which is working electronically--
i saw it for real in a car was fixing by a mechanic,and i looked at the electronic fuel injectors mounted on the fuel rail----and while the engine was running,the injector as u know-is supplied by the pressurized fuel from the fuel pump through the rail to the injector and its controlled by the ECU,to calculate the pulse width-,anyway my ques is completely imperical-:)--
i found two wires installed in every injector----what are these two wires?
when i removed it and came with a lamp and while engine was running i installed the two wires i took from the lamp in the cable comes from the ecu to the injector,the lamp turned on-and when i reversed the wires it also turned on--!
before i do this test ,i thought one wire is the vcc-(electricity feed)to the injector-and the other is the ground
now-im confused-cuase to make the lamp turn on it must connected to two terminals(one is positive and the other is negative which is a ground)
that what i was thinking,but i don't know if I am right-cuase I am not good in electrecity or electronics-but i know a little
i want to know how can i test this injector?with avometer?to check if the ecu already send the signal to the injector to work or not.
thanks for any help

Engineering news on Phys.org
Firstly, a warning, speaking from not-quite personal experience.

Don't piss around with fuel injection systems unless you actually, really, genuinely know what you're doing.

Assuming you've accepted the above, carry on reading.

Now, from what you've described (having given no indication of the type of engine, type of application, or type of fuel system), I'll suggest that one terminal will be +12v feed from the battery, the other will go to the ECM for injector control. Obviously this may depend on type of engine and injector, so don't take it for read. Again, if you genuinely know what you're dealing with, you probably didn't need to ask that question.

I don't mean to be patronising, but messing with FIE can be fatal in quite a number of ways.

machinest said:
hello everybody

i found two wires installed in every injector----what are these two wires?
when i removed it and came with a lamp and while engine was running i installed the two wires i took from the lamp in the cable comes from the ecu to the injector,the lamp turned on-and when i reversed the wires it also turned on--!
before i do this test ,i thought one wire is the vcc-(electricity feed)to the injector-and the other is the ground

the light bulb has no directional bias
it matters not how it is hooked up
the light bulb just is showing current flow
not it's direction

if the injector fires [clicks] but no gas flow
then most likely it is clogged
and need to be cleaned or replaced

Try the same thing with an LED..a normal lamp has no bias like ray_b mentions above. An LED does, however, and swaping the wires should make it work one way and not the other. Depending on the puls width of the injectors you may be able to see the LED blink, bit I think it's too fast ~5ms depending.

thank u all
dont worry brewnog,i understand how does it work,and i had the same in my mind about what u said about the terminals,thats one is 12v feed from the battery and the other is the injector control(signal from the ecu)
but ray_b and triden could get what i wanted to know,i thought the lamp i had to turn on had to take two polar terminals,they showed to me that it doesn't need a polar terminals to turn on,im going to use a led,and see,but
still i question where is the ground terminal?is it the body of the injector?
and how come the lamp could light without taking a ground terminal?
and if i used avometer where i have put the avometer terminals to check if the ecu sending the signal to the injector and to know if the injector is feeded by the 12v?i would to put the black wire of the avometer on the ground-right?where should i put?is it the ground of the engine?
thanks a lot again
for any care to help

What is an electronic fuel injector?

An electronic fuel injector is a device that is responsible for delivering fuel into the combustion chamber of an engine. It is controlled by the engine's computer and uses a solenoid to open and close a valve, allowing fuel to be sprayed into the engine at precise intervals.

How does an electronic fuel injector work?

Electronic fuel injectors work by receiving signals from the engine's computer, which tells them when to open and close. When the injector opens, fuel is pressurized and sprayed into the engine through a small nozzle. The amount of fuel sprayed is determined by the length of time the injector is open and the pressure of the fuel.

What are the benefits of using electronic fuel injectors?

Electronic fuel injectors offer several benefits over traditional carburetors. They provide more precise and efficient fuel delivery, resulting in better fuel economy and lower emissions. They also allow for better control of the air/fuel mixture, leading to improved engine performance.

What are some common problems with electronic fuel injectors?

Some common problems with electronic fuel injectors include clogging, leaking, and electrical issues. Clogging can occur due to a buildup of dirt or debris, which can affect the spray pattern and result in engine performance issues. Leaking can be caused by a faulty seal or damaged injector. Electrical issues can also arise, such as a faulty wiring connection or a malfunctioning engine computer.

How can I maintain my electronic fuel injectors?

To maintain your electronic fuel injectors, it is important to regularly clean and inspect them for any clogs or leaks. You can also use fuel injector cleaner additives to help keep them clean. It is also important to make sure your engine is in good condition and that you are using high-quality fuel. If you notice any issues with your injectors, it is best to have them checked and repaired by a professional mechanic.