Electronic Quenching in Geiger Muller Tubes

• Thread starter shehri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electronic
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electronic quenching in Geiger Muller tubes. It is explained that the tube has a resistor in series with it, acting as a charge amplifier. When ionization occurs, the tube draws a lot of current and the voltage across the resistor increases, causing the tube voltage to drop and stopping the avalanche effect. The conversation also mentions the need to build logic gates inside an analog circuit and the possibility of combining analog and digital elements in one circuit. It is suggested to start a new thread if there are additional questions.
shehri
Dear friends,

Plz. tell me about 'Electronic quenching' in Geiger Muller tubes.Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Geiger tube has a resistor (~ 10 meg) in series with it. It is in essence a charge amplifier tube because a small ionization charge gets amplified. When ionization occurs (cosmic ray) and creates an avalanch, (charge multiplication) occurs, the tube draws a lot of current, and the voltage across the resistor increases. This causes the tube voltage to drop a lot, stops the avalanch, and gives the ions in the gas time to recombine. The current in the tube stops, and the voltage rises again.

Can anyone help me ? I need to build logic gates inside analog circuit . Such case i need to get analog output , such case i need digital output . How to build analog and digital together in one circuit ? I need to use Logic gates with Opamp and control LEDs . Help me if u know it .. thanks !

why not start a new thread?

what do u mean by a new thread ?

This thread already have a question and some answers to it. If you have a new question, start a new thread. Don't you know how forum works?

I'm sorry .. this is the first time i use forum !

1. What is electronic quenching in Geiger Muller tubes?

Electronic quenching refers to the mechanism by which the high voltage applied to a Geiger Muller tube stops the flow of electrons produced by ionizing radiation, allowing the tube to detect and measure radiation levels.

2. How does electronic quenching work in Geiger Muller tubes?

When the high voltage is applied, it creates an electric field that attracts the free electrons produced by ionizing radiation. As these electrons move towards the anode, they cause secondary ionization, producing more free electrons. The high voltage also creates a reverse current that quickly neutralizes these free electrons, allowing the tube to reset and detect more radiation.

3. What are the factors that affect electronic quenching efficiency in Geiger Muller tubes?

The efficiency of electronic quenching depends on the type of gas used in the tube, the composition and thickness of the tube's walls, and the applied voltage. The electric field strength, shape of the anode, and the presence of impurities in the gas can also affect the efficiency of electronic quenching.

4. How is electronic quenching different from other quenching mechanisms in radiation detection?

Electronic quenching is unique to Geiger Muller tubes, while other types of radiation detectors use different quenching mechanisms such as self-quenching, gas flow quenching, or self-absorption. Electronic quenching is highly efficient and does not require a continuous flow of gas or frequent replacement of the gas in the tube, making it a popular choice for radiation detection.

5. What are the applications of electronic quenching in Geiger Muller tubes?

Geiger Muller tubes are commonly used in radiation detection and measurement in various fields such as medical, environmental, and industrial settings. Electronic quenching allows for precise and sensitive detection of low levels of radiation, making it useful in monitoring and ensuring safety in these applications.